enginiered drawings,net metering, & permit schedual - grid tie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enginiered drawings,net metering, & permit schedual - grid tie

Are there any companies out there that tackle this end of the PV install for the self install folks like myself.

I would be purchasing an 6kw engineered "kit"(source still undetermined). I want to remain be eligible for all the rebates, tax credits, and other incentives provided by owning the system and understand there's a paperwork trail which needs to be completed in a certain order and time.

The companies that supply the full grid tie kits for self installation, from what i've gathered, do not provide you with the rest of the resources needed for addressing permit issues, drawings, and utility requirements. (if you no of a kit company that supplies the schematics&paperwork end, do tell)
    The install end, racking and wiring is a piece of cake from my perspective. It's the non hands on paperwork end which i feel will be to much for myself to tackle in a timely manner,

is there any companies out there you can pay a fee for these services? (i'm in ct)
    thanks in advance.

Local installers would be familiar with the process but the problem is they typically wouldn't do just that part only for you. Local requirements vary, too, so it's not like you can scale this kind of stuff into a business doing only just that alone nationwide.

I think your best best is to figure it out yourself. Or call around local installers and tell them you're willing to pay them a fee to help with your paperwork to see if they're interested in charging you a fee to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by sidelinellc View Post
      Are there any companies out there that tackle this end of the PV install for the self install folks like myself.

I would be purchasing an 6kw engineered "kit"(source still undetermined). I want to remain be eligible for all the rebates, tax credits, and other incentives provided by owning the system and understand there's a paperwork trail which needs to be completed in a certain order and time.

The companies that supply the full grid tie kits for self installation, from what i've gathered, do not provide you with the rest of the resources needed for addressing permit issues, drawings, and utility requirements. (if you no of a kit company that supplies the schematics&paperwork end, do tell)
      The install end, racking and wiring is a piece of cake from my perspective. It's the non hands on paperwork end which i feel will be to much for myself to tackle in a timely manner,

is there any companies out there you can pay a fee for these services? (i'm in ct)
      thanks in advance.
      I'd bet the chances of any reputable co. preparing such drawings is slim. Too much liability for what they would probably need to charge, and more than most would consider reasonable to cover the liability. As a swag, good luck on finding an independent P.E. in CT willing to seal them.

Comment

Another approach is to find a neighbor or somebody in your area who's recently had a solar installation done, and ask if they'd be willing to share the drawing and permit paperwork with you so you can review and copy. From there, you can try to recreate your own drawing using theirs as an example. And if you have copies of the local establishments granting them permits, you'd know at least which establishments you'd need to go to for permits. Or just call them up and ask. Obviously there's your HOA (if you live in one), your city, and your POCO at the minimum.

Beware that some localities require license installers before they grant permits so DIY would be out of luck there. Maybe you should check that first.

Comment

Originally posted by Volusiano View Post
          Another approach is to find a neighbor or somebody in your area who's recently had a solar installation done, and ask if they'd be willing to share the drawing and permit paperwork with you so you can review and copy. From there, you can try to recreate your own drawing using theirs as an example. And if you have copies of the local establishments granting them permits, you'd know at least which establishments you'd need to go to for permits. Or just call them up and ask. Obviously there's your HOA (if you live in one), your city, and your POCO at the minimum.

Beware that some localities require license installers before they grant permits so DIY would be out of luck there. Maybe you should check that first.
          Maybe OK, but probably not too professional. Plan check might not go for it. Reminds me of wearing someone else's underwear. No offense meant. Also, the original designer/preparer may have something to say about it and anyway, they may not have good (drawing) hygiene.

Comment

You can check out some of the Electrical Installers in your area that work on Solar PV systems. You might find one that is willing to provide the services you want along with them making the final connection to the electric service.

Just be aware that all Contractors make a good part of their profits from the mark up on providing the equipment. The rest of their profits is part of the installation. Since you will be purchasing and installing the equipment there isn't much room for a profit but again it depends on the Electrical Contractor. You may be able to find someone that will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
              Maybe OK, but probably not too professional. Plan check might not go for it. Reminds me of wearing someone else's underwear. No offense meant. Also, the original designer/preparer may have something to say about it and anyway, they may not have good (drawing) hygiene.
              LOL, it's a DIY'er anyway, so for sure that approach is not going to be professional. But as long as it passes muster, who cares, right?

Comment

In the end it won't cost too much more than a local installer.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

thanks in advance.
                  Start here. http://www.solarabcs.org/about/publi...edited-permit/

Don't be discouraged by the negative comments on this forum. I suspect most of them are installers. I have seen this same response to others questions about the permit and approval process.

After you read thru all that go down to your local permitting office and ask questions. I live in California and I have to say that I was the most nervous about dealing with the county permitting office when in fact they were very knowledgeable and helpful through out the entire process. I installed my own 7kw system last year and like you the mechanical part of the process was a piece of cake but
                  the permit and engineering drawings were new to me. I learned a lot going thru this process by myself and I saved a sh*t load of money in the process.

Having the system inspected and approved was very easy for me. Dealing with the local utility was a little more frustrating. Go to your local utility web site and there you should be able to find the information you need or at least a phone number to call to get the info you need. There are a couple of forms to fill out and you will not get anywhere with them if you don't have your permit number so you have to get the permit first. After filling out all the forms for the utility they promised to have my backward running smart meter installed in up to 45 days and they came on the 45th day. It was very frustrating knowing I could be making power for so long and was being held back by them.

8 megawatts later I have not looked back and have helped a couple of my friends install solar on there homes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Energi View Post
                    Start here. http://www.solarabcs.org/about/publi...edited-permit/

Don't be discouraged by the negative comments on this forum. I suspect most of them are installers. I have seen this same response to others questions about the permit and approval process.

After you read thru all that go down to your local permitting office and ask questions. I live in California and I have to say that I was the most nervous about dealing with the county permitting office when in fact they were very knowledgeable and helpful through out the entire process. I installed my own 7kw system last year and like you the mechanical part of the process was a piece of cake but
                    the permit and engineering drawings were new to me. I learned a lot going thru this process by myself and I saved a sh*t load of money in the process.

Having the system inspected and approved was very easy for me. Dealing with the local utility was a little more frustrating. Go to your local utility web site and there you should be able to find the information you need or at least a phone number to call to get the info you need. There are a couple of forms to fill out and you will not get anywhere with them if you don't have your permit number so you have to get the permit first. After filling out all the forms for the utility they promised to have my backward running smart meter installed in up to 45 days and they came on the 45th day. It was very frustrating knowing I could be making power for so long and was being held back by them.

8 megawatts later I have not looked back and have helped a couple of my friends install solar on there homes as well.

Thank you all for the comments. I have talked with the local building department on two separate occasions and at both times, received opposite response unfortunately. apparently, they feel There job was not to advise me of the regulations, code or how too's, but to make sure i've followed them.

On a plus side, i have found electricians willing to do just the electrical permitting, cable pulls and hookup, with all the hardware and cable chases already installed. This would work for me very well and save a good amount of money a self install of a kit.
                    Last edited by sidelinellc; 01-29-2014, 07:37 PM. Reason: spellcheck hates me

Comment

On a plus side, i have found electricians willing to do just the electrical permitting, cable pulls and hookup, with all the hardware and cable chases already installed. This would work for me very well and save a good amount of money a self install of a kit.
                      It sounds like you have found the best of all possible worlds.
                      But be sure that either you or the electrician you hire (preferably both of you) are familiar in depth with the differences between solar PV and regular residential wiring. Otherwise the inspector will have a field day or you will get a poorly performing system.
                      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Thank you all for the comments. I have talked with the local building department on two separate occasions and at both times, received opposite response unfortunately. apparently, they feel There job was not to advise me of the regulations, code or how too's, but to make sure i've followed them.

Funny thing is that they are correct about their job.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Energi View Post
                          Quit trash talking - if you have a specific complaint so the state it or can it.

the permit and engineering drawings were new to me. I learned a lot going thru this process by myself and I saved a sh*t load of money in the process. You are now an expert on the drawings? You are spreading BS

Having the system inspected and approved was very easy for me. Dealing with the local utility was a little more frustrating. Go to your local utility web site and there you should be able to find the information you need or at least a phone number to call to get the info you need. There are a couple of forms to fill out and you will not get anywhere with them if you don't have your permit number so you have to get the permit first. After filling out all the forms for the utility they promised to have my backward running smart meter installed in up to 45 days and they came on the 45th day. It was very frustrating knowing I could be making power for so long and was being held back by them. Held back by them? Then apply earlier

8 Mw? Wow - already and the expert - sounds more like green garbage to me. You were warned about placing links some time back as I remember.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I have talked with the local building department on two separate occasions and at both times, received opposite response unfortunately. apparently, they feel There job was not to advise me of the regulations, code or how too's, but to make sure i've followed them.
                            That is the proper response. They are there to judge you, not educate you. When they come out and do inspection they will only cite what codes you have not complied with. They will not tell you how to fix it.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                              8 Mw? Wow - already and the expert - sounds more like green garbage to me. You were warned about placing links some time back as I remember.
                              Why can't you post a link to a how to site. It has no connection with any sellers. It's a how to do the paper work kind of site for the DIYer. Or do you just not like the DIYer.
                              Yup , over 8 mega watts. What can I say I bought the right products from the right supplier and installed it in a perfect location.

Comment

Working...
                              X