No announcement yet.

Re buying solar panels/not leasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leasing works here in Tx, with an average price of $0.10 per KWH. I'm no expert on the lease model nor am I an expert with other markets, how does our utility rebate of $1.09 per DC watt stand in comparison with other places? All of our customers have purchased their systems but we will be offering a lease option very soon for those customers without the tax liability.

Comment

Free Estimate

Originally posted by Naptown View Post
      Correct I have no skin in that game.
      I say this only because in Massachussets the sunpower financing is rapidly taking over as the no money down option of choice as far as market share goes. Sunpower is increasing market share and Solar City is losing market share at a very large rate.
      Mod note - Forget advertising or looking for suckers on the site - next time you are banned. Participate if you wish.
      Last edited by russ; 06-04-2014, 12:22 AM.

Comment

I average .138/kwh in NJ with time of day plan and am looking at Solar and the leases just don't make sense. Barely saving anything. Not sure if it's cost effective yet to go with a lease. Prepay seems interesting but issue there is the system costs just barely less than a purchase but I do not get SRECs so in long run purchase may be the way to go. I like prepay because of no worries (supposed) with a guaranteed system and production rates.

Comment

Originally posted by njguy View Post
          I average .138/kwh in NJ with time of day plan and am looking at Solar and the leases just don't make sense. Barely saving anything. Not sure if it's cost effective yet to go with a lease. Prepay seems interesting but issue there is the system costs just barely less than a purchase but I do not get SRECs so in long run purchase may be the way to go. I like prepay because of no worries (supposed) with a guaranteed system and production rates.
          Your opinion summarizes a lot of what others see as unfavorable about leases. Add to that perceived limits on future courses of action and potential problems of a practical nature in a resale. Others see the benefit of avoiding up front lump sum purchases, I'd suspect often, but not always because they lack the resources, or the tools or time to make a more informed judgment. But, opinions vary. There are other, opposite equally valid opinions. Mine is different than theirs. I'd suggest listening to all sides objectively, personally detached and critically before you buy, if only to make sure there's nothing you missed. Finally, doing nothing is also a valid choice. Maybe in 5 yrs. solar will come in cracker jack boxes. Who knows ? In the mean time reduce your usage. It's much more cost effective than any solar at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
            Your opinion summarizes a lot of what others see as unfavorable about leases. Add to that perceived limits on future courses of action and potential problems of a practical nature in a resale. Others see the benefit of avoiding up front lump sum purchases, I'd suspect often, but not always because they lack the resources, or the tools or time to make a more informed judgment. But, opinions vary. There are other, opposite equally valid opinions. Mine is different than theirs. I'd suggest listening to all sides objectively, personally detached and critically before you buy, if only to make sure there's nothing you missed. Finally, doing nothing is also a valid choice. Maybe in 5 yrs. solar will come in cracker jack boxes. Who knows ? In the mean time reduce your usage. It's much more cost effective than any solar at this time.
            You're right about doing nothing. That may be the ultimate choice but I am weighing all options. At end of the day it seems I'm leaning between nothing or purchase. So besides my current cost I wonder about how much sun I need on my roof (how many hours) each day (on a sunny day of course). I have heard that as long as you have sun from 9am to 3pm all is good (in the summer). That obviously is a factor. I do get sun during that time but have a tree that shades part of the roof (neighbors property) from about 3:30 to about 5 and then the roof is covered in shade. The solar companies tell me its all good but they obviously could just be saying that to sell me their product (though with the lease and prepay they at least guarantee certain amount of production).

Comment

Originally posted by TxSolarPro View Post
              Leasing works here in Tx, with an average price of $0.10 per KWH. I'm no expert on the lease model nor am I an expert with other markets, how does our utility rebate of $1.09 per DC watt stand in comparison with other places? All of our customers have purchased their systems but we will be offering a lease option very soon for those customers without the tax liability.
              What part of Texas? I live in Round Rock (ONCOR) and got 2.00 per watt from them and .50 per watt from the installer when I installed my system in 2012. I am not a fan of leasing at all but that is just me.

Comment

Working...
              X