High end custom trailer build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High end custom trailer build

I am in the process of having a trailer built for us and would like the help of some experts to put together a package that is safe and reliable.

I like the idea of using solar to keep the batteries topped off and to keep the generator from running as much. I don't need the panels to support big loads just small consistent loads like the DC fridge. I have a Onan SD10000 diesel generator to charge batteries when needed. I would like to run a microwave and small tools without having to start the generator every time.

Consistent known loads
    Vitrifrigo fridge 4.4 A, 56.89 watts running

Temporary loads are all over the place with interior and exterior led Lights.
    work lights 150w
    living lights 30w
    Espar Airtronic furnace model D5 80W running on high

With my very limited knowledge in this field, I have came up with this.

Magnum Energy inverter charger MS-2012 or MS-2812
    system control ME-ARC
    auto gen start ME-AGS-N
    Sharp panels 250w NDQ250F7 Qty 2
    Blue Sky charge controller SB-3024il
    I can get wholesale on Deka batteries so i would like to find a good fit from them. I know two 8D batteries would be small on a system that relied on solar only, would it be sufficient for me? What will it take to run overnight with furnace running nonstop and refrigerator cold and have batteries still in the safe zone?

Thanks for the help
    Jordan

Do the off grid calculator in my sig line
    You will have to figure out how long each item will run.
    Enter the watts and time and it will figure most things out for you.

You will need to enter a sun hour figure. This is based on where you intend to use the trailer and what seasons.

You really need to figure out the overnight loads as you can charge with the genset during the day
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Can the manufacturer not install this for you if you spec it in the build sheet?

I'd think about a few things before I did it. As a guy with an off-grid solar building, my RV does not have a single PV cell on it because it doesn't make sense for us. We use ours mostly in the Summer and like to park in the shade if possible, only have room for 2 batteries, usually run our Yamaha inverter gen for a couple of hours in the AM anyway for coffee, microwave etc so it also charges the batteries during that run time. Fridge runs on propane most of the time. You just don't gain much from roof panels to charge batteries.
      1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Originally posted by thastinger View Post
        Can the manufacturer not install this for you if you spec it in the build sheet?

I'd think about a few things before I did it. As a guy with an off-grid solar building, my RV does not have a single PV cell on it because it doesn't make sense for us. We use ours mostly in the Summer and like to park in the shade if possible, only have room for 2 batteries, usually run our Yamaha inverter gen for a couple of hours in the AM anyway for coffee, microwave etc so it also charges the batteries during that run time. Fridge runs on propane most of the time. You just don't gain much from roof panels to charge batteries.
        I DO gain a lot from charging batteries!
        The manufacture will mount the panels on roof for warranty reasons.
        My refrigerator is not propane for lots of reasons.
        I have room for more batteries than I want to lug around.
        Sun hour figure is 4
        1200 watt hours is close

I will start with 500ah of batteries and see how they do.
        I decided to up the size of the charge controller to 60a. Morning star mppt
        750w total (3x250)

If I need more batteries I can always add more. If the voltage gets low the generator starts up so no harm is done to them.

Comment

Do your panels articulate on the roof? If not and they are flat mounted, you'll want to factor that in because it will greatly reduce the output from them.

Comment

Originally posted by thastinger View Post
            Do your panels articulate on the roof? If not and they are flat mounted, you'll want to factor that in because it will greatly reduce the output from them.
            The panels will be flat and as low as possible for arowdynamics.
            I derated output numbers.

Any comments on equipment list as it stands (quality, reliability, bad experience?)

SolarKing, I was hoping you would chime in.

Comment

I've been told that Kyocera panels are built better than sharp and would have a better time surviving the rough roads ahead?

Comment

I am overwhelmed with good info.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyLow View Post
                  I've been told that Kyocera panels are built better than sharp and would have a better time surviving the rough roads ahead?
                  That will be more of a function of the glass thickness and loading characteristics of the panels
                  Look for a higher Kpa rating which is a function of loading on the surface of the panel.
                  NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

I am overwhelmed with good info.
                    Is 1.2kWh the amount of energy you want to draw each day?
                    How many days of reserve do you want?
                    Are you going to use it in Winter? If so, what are the lowest Winter sun hours where you travel?

Comment

The amount of energy that will be used overnight with periodic light usage, cell phone charging and furnace will be 1.2ish kwh. I really don't want a a lot of extra reserve just enough to be nice to the batteries (batteries at 75% in the morning.) The generator will used more in the winter months and I am fine with that.

The panels are ordered 3x 250 kyocera kd250gx-lfb2

Battery storage is all that's left.

Comment

The amount of energy that will be used overnight with periodic light usage, cell phone charging and furnace will be 1.2ish kwh. I really don't want a a lot of extra reserve just enough to be nice to the batteries (batteries at 75% in the morning.) The generator will used more in the winter months and I am fine with that.

The panels are ordered 3x 250 kyocera kd250gx-lfb2

Battery storage is all that's left.
                        If you are willing to use the generator for the occasional cloudy or rainy day as well as more heavily during the winter, going down to 75% SOC nightly may not be too hard on your batteries.
                        If you wanted to provide for a cushion of 2 or more days without charging, then more like 80% would be better. That would allow you to go down to a 50% cutoff before running the generator over a greater number of days.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Autonomous solar RV 5th wheel

First input

We are full time RV'ers and son Cary Lane (Energy Concepts) has designed and fabricated solar systems on previous RVs. Started with 2 panels and 4 x 110 amp-hours (or thereabouts) glass mat batters and 2.5 PSW inverter. this increased to 4 panels (700 watts) on upgrade which was transferred to a 5th wheel.

This 5th wheel was destroyed in Mexico about 80 miles west of Puebla, Puebla, Mexico. Truck was crushed as was 5th wheel as 10 cars piled up behind us (70 car pile up or so). The four panels stayed in place and the system continued to work when we visited in wrecking yard at Gruas Acatazingo (40 miles east of Puebla0.

Cary was interested in designing and fabricating an autonomous system i.e. one that we could run m/w as we wished and air conditioning for upwards of 3 hours with full insolation. This was done in June and we have not had to hook into line power or generator since.

System is basically;
                          1420 W of PV panels wired at 90 volts
                          Charge controller to charge 48v bank from 90 volt PV
                          Converter to reduce voltage from 48 batteries to 12 V for DC loads
                          16 x 180 amp-hours 3 volt lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries in series to provide 180 amp-hours at 48 V (720 amp-hours at 12 V) or 9.7 kW-hours.
                          The 3 volt batteries are fabricated into 4 batteries per pack so that every sub-battery (all 16 cells) have shunts so that they will not over-charge
                          Isolated 120 vac battery charger to plug into questionable power sources

This goes through 4.0 PSW Magnum inverter and/or 12 V converter. We have interior instrumentation to monitor systems (all 16 sub-batteries) and turn on/off the inverter (30 W drainage at night which is not a good plan).

We have used the solar/battery suite combination to run a/c for over 3.5 hours with full insolation. Battery drain was down less than 50%. We also run the refrigerator on 110 through inverter during the day, and have run it for 24 hours a day in summer.

Reed Cundiff

Comment

Good post Reed (impressive setup,)

I have determined my nightly usage to be 150 amp hours. If I want a 20% discharge the bank should be 750 amp hours, sure is a lot of money on batteries. I'd rather fill the tank on the eu2000 and let it run for 8hrs. I could run the honda generator for at least 1500 hours for the same cost to charge the batteries with the sun. lol It seemed like a good idea, it still might be a good idea. Too late to turn back now.

All of this to protect the batteries while trailer is parked idle.

Comment

How could I have missed this!!!! Everything in the trailer can run 24VDC. The only part that I need to change in the inverter charger.

Comment

Working...
                              X