Vanadium Batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanadium Batteries?

Anyone have experience with Vanadium Redox batteries?

Basics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanadium_redox_battery

Looks like REDT Energy Storage Systems has designed a 5KW module, which would be about perfect for me (current conventional designs utilize a 4400 W inverter).

Adding capacity is pretty much as simple as adding more flow tanks - like putting a bigger gas tank on your car while maintaining the same engine.

It SEEMS like this would be a good fit for us, but progress has been slow. There use to be one company, VRB, down in Australia, that was doing research and spot product placements/demos. They went under. Now there are half-a-dozen or so companies pitching to different markets.

I just love the characteristics: Same chemical on both sides of the plate, just in different electron charge states. Virtually no power leakage. Charge membranes with 35 year lives. Modular. Reasonably efficient (1.1:1 charge:discharge power ratio).

Just curious if anyone has practical experience or has done other research into this.

Kevin

any hint of the cost/Kwh
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

No one except NASA and some other scientist have worked with them. They are still in development looking for investors. American Vadium is the only company I know of working with Sandia National Labs in NM are trying to commercialize them. So for now they are vaporware.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        any hint of the cost/Kwh
        I think you know the answer to that Mike. They don't exist yet. Only NASA and military can afford working models.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          I think you know the answer to that Mike. They don't exist yet. Only NASA and military can afford working models.
          This looks pretty real: http://www.poweringnow.com/products

From the Wikipedia page: "There are currently a number of suppliers and developers of these battery systems including UniEnergy Technologies and Ashlawn Energy in the United States, Renewable Energy Dynamics (RED-T) in Ireland, Gildemeister AG (formerly Cellstrom GmbH in Austria) in Germany, Cellennium in Thailand, Prudent Energy in China,[6][7][8] Sumitomo in Japan and H2, Inc. in South Korea."

I've dropped the first link a note, will see if they respond. From reading the various web pages referenced in Wikipedia, cost is suppose to be similar to Lead-Acid, although the systems are bigger since the energy density is not as great. However, mixed acid bases (HCL and H2SO4) are suppose to bring the storage densities much closer, and improve the operating temperature range.

Is the industry new? Yep. But I've seen it grow from one company (now defunct but their stock symbol use to be VRB) to the list provided above. Honestly suspect that has a lot to do with patent's running out, since I believe VRB owned them for awhile.

Kevin

Comment

Call them and ask for price and delivery.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

From what I have been reading, the Vanadium batteries will be available in the near future. Perhaps at the beginning the price may be a bit high, but if it is going to last that long, then it will erase the difference in $$$

Comment

Originally posted by papitohead View Post
                From what I have been reading, the Vanadium batteries will be available in the near future. Perhaps at the beginning the price may be a bit high, but if it is going to last that long, then it will erase the difference in $$$
                All BS and blather so far. The site the link was for was just that - no product yet. The wiki is a horrible information source as the owner/author can post anything they want - You Tube is worse.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by papitohead View Post
                  Our cars will fly in the near future too. Heck you can even buy one today.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

The key issue is actually bringing things to market, and not just trying to bait investors.

AND, once brought to market, the corporation is using those assets and investments to play the market. If that is not done right, then the vehicle they used to generate profits in the first place fails, leaving the consumer with a doorstop.

Some technology is not really intended to be brought to market, but to solicit investors into funding a patent-portfolio warchest, which they can later sell off to the highest bidder. Non-producing entities are everywhere.

Come to think of it, I should jump into the online funding game to see how far I can take my new "AYB" battery, similar to an AGM, but instead consists of absorbed yeast and bread. I'll bet if I look hard enough for patents, I would find that I'm not the only one who thought of that, and would instead have to license it from an NPE who never brought it to market.

Comment

It's just like the ZENN LSV. It was a nice idea for a moderate costing EV but since it only had a top speed of 25mph (which did not meet most US open roadway requirements) it was hard to sell due to limited areas it could be used.

Comment

Working...
                      X