Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for sharing i found alot of information that i will be useing.

Comment

My boyfriend is intent on making DIY panels, but I am for purchasing or leasing panels instead. Not that I think he's incapable of undertaking the project alone, but from all that I have read it seems to me that there is no real advantage to DIY panels. I've even read mixed opinions on whether DIY makes financial sense.

So my question is, can someone say definitely whether making your own solar panels is cheaper than buying them? Is there actual data out there to back up either argument?

If DIY is a money-saver or about the same price I guess I'm willing to let him run with it, but I just don't see how DIY is better from a financial perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by JillC View Post
        My boyfriend is intent on making DIY panels, but I am for purchasing or leasing panels instead. Not that I think he's incapable of undertaking the project alone, but from all that I have read it seems to me that there is no real advantage to DIY panels. I've even read mixed opinions on whether DIY makes financial sense.

So my question is, can someone say definitely whether making your own solar panels is cheaper than buying them? Is there actual data out there to back up either argument?

If DIY is a money-saver or about the same price I guess I'm willing to let him run with it, but I just don't see how DIY is better from a financial perspective.
        Nothing to be gained, only loss. More importantly is there is no code compliant manner in which to use them in house premises wiring. In other words you cannot pull permits or pass inspection with DIY panels.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by JillC View Post

If you are looking at this from a financial view point, DIY panels make no sense. They are great fun to build but won't last as long and come with no warranty. Plus you can't use them for any wiring to your house. My panels that I build are all used in systems outside of my house and are not connected in any way to my house, so they are not really all that useful. But for me it's the fun of building them and learning what they can do. Financially it would be far cheaper for me to just use grid power to do the things my panels are doing, running lights and pumps and charging batteries. FAR cheaper to buy grid power, but for me that's not the point. I'm an experimenter.

To do anything useful with solar you need to buy factory made certified panels that meet electrical code.

Comment

great bit of Info and some Cool Links..

Originally posted by Jason View Post
            Here is a list of great websites from people who have accomplished building their own solar panels and documented the work on personal websites. Why pay for DIY solar guides when you have sites like these?! Enjoy.

http://www.mdpub.com/SolarPanel/index.html
            http://doctersnuggles.come2me.nl/990...experiment-und
            http://doctersnuggles2.come2me.nl/
            http://www.hajerstijn.eu/solar/
            http://www.xs4all.nl/~hante/index-en.html
            http://home.kpn.nl/maas5455/
            http://www.olino.org/us/articles/200...wn-solar-panel (lots of good comments after article)

*if you would like your website added, send me a private message so I can check out your site first. Thanks!
            just checked some of the Links - Cool Stuff, going to try and find some Info about building my first little Kit..back inmin...just going to check prices of 2nds(Panels/Cells) on FleaBay

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCatz72 View Post
              just checked some of the Links - Cool Stuff, going to try and find some Info about building my first little Kit..back inmin...just going to check prices of 2nds(Panels/Cells) on FleaBay

Fleabay is probably the worst possible source for a beginner.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Diy solar panel tutorials

Hi all,

I stared solar project to satisfie my needs for electricity on small spring house in nature.
                All I'll be documenting and putting gathered knowledge in DIY solar tutorials on a Mod note - please obtain the OK from user name Jason (the boss) before posting links as such , so be free to check it out.

Thank You all.
                Last edited by russ; 07-22-2014, 01:47 PM. Reason: removed link

Comment

DIY really isn't the way to go if you can afford the full panels. But for those of us who are just buying a few cells at a time as our budget permit, it's a good way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by pathrunner View Post
                    DIY really isn't the way to go if you can afford the full panels. But for those of us who are just buying a few cells at a time as our budget permit, it's a good way to go.
                    That statement is true. The cost of manufactured panels have come down in price so much that a DIY panel may cost as much and last less then a year due to moisture getting to the cells.

If the idea is to learn about solar technology and play with it as a hobby then building a small (< 15 watts) panel could be fun and not too expensive but otherwise not much use.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

That statement is true. The cost of manufactured panels have come down in price so much that a DIY panel may cost as much and last less then a year due to moisture getting to the cells.

If the idea is to learn about solar technology and play with it as a hobby then building a small (< 15 watts) panel could be fun and not too expensive but otherwise not much use.

Exactly. I know the prices of panels have gone down, but there is alot of education my 7 year old daughter is getting and we are building specific sizes for different applications.

Comment

Exactly. I know the prices of panels have gone down, but there is alot of education my 7 year old daughter is getting and we are building specific sizes for different applications.
                        As a lab or learning project building a DIY solar panel can be fun and exciting. I fully support that type of action when it comes to teaching our children about solar. I just try to keep the adults on solid ground when they think they can build dozens of panels to provide power for their home so they can save money.

Let us know how the project works out for you and your daughter. Hope she has fun in the learning process.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

As a lab or learning project building a DIY solar panel can be fun and exciting. I fully support that type of action when it comes to teaching our children about solar. I just try to keep the adults on solid ground when they think they can build dozens of panels to provide power for their home so they can save money.

Let us know how the project works out for you and your daughter. Hope she has fun in the learning process.

We built a panel for her clubhouse. It powers two large LED lights and a cooling fan. She had two friends over last night and they spent the night out there, loving the light. I could hear them giggling out there as my wife and I went down for bed. I could hear her two separate times being excited about what her and Daddy had put together.

She has a new appreciation and alot more knowledge now. Thanks.

Comment

We built a panel for her clubhouse. It powers two large LED lights and a cooling fan. She had two friends over last night and they spent the night out there, loving the light. I could hear them giggling out there as my wife and I went down for bed. I could hear her two separate times being excited about what her and Daddy had put together.

That's about the most successful and I bet one of the most durable DIY projects in terms of long term results I've ever heard about.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

That's about the most successful and I bet one of the most durable DIY projects in terms of long term results I've ever heard about.

Yeah, her friend's moms came today to pick up the girls and they both asked for clubhouses. The moms asked me where I bought mine. When I told them I built them, I think I may have just inadvertantly given myself more work. lol.

Comment

That's great to hear. Hopefully you have a daughter who will want to explore science and maybe discovery a new technology.

I am glad she is having fun with solar. Enjoy it with her and encourage her excitement.

Comment

Working...
                                X