X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian S
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sunking
    Are you that ignorant Ian. DOE made it too expensive by heavy handed regulations. A plant was under construction in March of 99 in South Carolina (Duke Energy). It took 11 years to get the permit to build and the extra unnecessary expense put on the project by the Employment Prevention Agency caused the plant to be scrapped because of $5 Billion added by NOBAMA and EPA to bury the project. That my friend is a conspiracy and you fell for it.
    That's not exactly what happened:

Duke Energy Corp. did not renew its contract to use mixed-oxide fuel that will be developed from surplus weapons-grade plutonium at the Savannah River Site. Duke was the only utility contracted to use the fuel, called MOX. Spokeswoman Rita Sipe said the company remains interested in the program and would use MOX at reactors at its Catawba Nuclear Station in South Carolina and its McGuire plant near Charlotte. But Duke was unable to reach an agreement with Shaw Areva MOX Services to extend its previous contract beyond Dec. 1, 2008.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but President Obama didn't take office until January, 2009. Notice that Duke was the only utility really interested in using the fuel. Unless you're talking about another SC facility in which case, I'm sure you'll post appropriate links to detailed information.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Ian S
      That's not exactly what happened:

Correct me if I'm wrong but President Obama didn't take office until January, 2009. Notice that Duke was the only utility really interested in using the fuel. Unless you're talking about another SC facility in which case, I'm sure you'll post appropriate links to detailed information.
      Did you read why Duke did not renew the contract? I did not think so. Because it was a Bush project which Romney supported but Obama promised to shut down. After Nov 2008 elections, there was no reason to pursue it any further.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Ian S
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sunking
        Did you read why Duke did not renew the contract?
        Why yes I did:

Duke contracted with Shaw in 1999 and expected the site to begin fabricating MOX fuel in 2007. The timeline for production is actually much further away than that. The facility at the Savannah River Site is expected to open in 2016.
        Looks to me as if the facility couldn't deliver when they were supposed to. And, as far I as I can determine, the facility is still being built. But frankly, the whole thing sounds like a Republican pork barrel project.

Comment

Working...