X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PenguinSolar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2013

Bloomberg: Solar Panel Is Next Granite Countertop for Homebuilders

Thought this was interesting saying that for today's home buyers solar panels are becoming a new standard option in new homes. Can definitely vouch for that as all the new model houses we have 'show off' solar panels already pre-installed.

Actually, looking back it's one of the options (along with countertops and cabinets) that's somewhat cost-effective to go with the builder (vs post COE) as you save a bit on installation since they are building the roof anyways.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

I think that is a bit over optimistic. With incentives drying up, Net Metering going away and/or modified, and new stricter electrical codes on the way for 2014 solar is going to be a lot less attractive going forward.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• PenguinSolar
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
      I think that is a bit over optimistic. With incentives drying up, Net Metering going away and/or modified, and new stricter electrical codes on the way for 2014 solar is going to be a lot less attractive going forward.
      Should qualify it more this is happening in the mid/high-end new home market in CA. When your new house price is $1.5M then paying $15K for a small solar system is only 1% of your overall cost so the incentives don't really come to play so much.

At that upper end it's a small luxury amenity. You don't need granite, marble, plantation shutters or that water fountain either but people still get it and solar is moving that way. Solar companies are smart to partner with builders and get it added as an option and buyers are biting. Again this is for the mid/high end market, builders aren't offering solar for the attached condo in a multi-unit, only on the detached single family house (3/4bd) which start at $1M and buyers can afford the splurge and less concern about payback.

Before it wasn't even offered but now I see it as a standard option for all new construction homes in my area (SoCal).

Agree the incentives are going away and the net metering changes make things a bit more unclear for the future.

But it does seem like in the luxury home market it's becoming a little trendy to add the solar at least around here.

When you go through the builder option list it's just a small check box and you indicate what size (S, M, L) so a super easy way to purchase. Way less complicated then say picking your flooring or plants for your landscaping .

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by PenguinSolar
        Should qualify it more this is happening in the mid/high-end new home market in CA. When your new house price is $1.5M then paying $15K for a small solar system is only 1% of your overall cost so the incentives don't really come to play so much.
        California I can understand. They got what they voted for.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• PenguinSolar
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2013

What can I say about California. They deserve it.

Yup! Come on over! Know a nice new house with a spanky sleek looking solar on top to show you! Oh only one catch it's only the model and there's already a waitlist so you'll need to wait 4-6mo oh and it's better if you can pay cash.

Actually, our house pricing is cheap! Up in NorCal it's easily DOUBLE! So compare to % of home costs a solar system is not that bad -- again it's all relative.

Comment

• Beachnut
            • Aug 2013

We have a development on the "mesa", that is advertising "The no electric bill home"! They are nice house, on a golf course, with club, pool, etc. starting at $427K so it is not just the million plus club house doing the solar thing.

Available homes at Trilogy® at Monarch Dunes in Central Coast. https://www.sheahomes.com/new-homes/california/central-coast/nipomo/trilogy-at-monarch-dunes/

On the above link, is this one for "SheaXero". I guess Shea housing developers are doing this in not only CA, but also AZ, NV, and WA!

Trilogy Communities - Celebrate life with freedom, wellness, and connection in partial or full retirement at a 55+ community.

We have some friends living at "Monarch Dunes" and they love it. You could have had one of these homes a year ago,, for high 3's!!!

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

There is a new housing development in the Spring Hill area of Florida that is including a 3kw system as part of the normal house build.

Solar is slowly making head way into the housing market here is Florida and it is pretty cool to see it as part of the new build market.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by PenguinSolar
                Actually, our house pricing is cheap! Up in NorCal it's easily DOUBLE! So compare to % of home costs a solar system is not that bad -- again it's all relative.
                Just poking fun at you. Back in the early 80's seriously considered moving to the Central Coast area around San Luis Obispo to work as a plant engineer at the Nuke plant in Morro Bay (aka Poor Man's Peable Beach) Still one of my favorite vacation spots to go with my Golf Buddies and occasionally with wife. We usually stay at Sea Pine Resort in Los Osos. Back then the place we looked at was around $150K which was outrageous in the early 80's. Last time I checked a couple of years ago it was on the market for $700K but could be had for $500K Short Sale. That area got hammered.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• Beachnut
                  • Aug 2013

Just poking fun at you. Back in the early 80's seriously considered moving to the Central Coast area around San Luis Obispo to work as a plant engineer at the Nuke plant in Morro Bay (aka Poor Man's Peable Beach) Still one of my favorite vacation spots to go with my Golf Buddies and occasionally with wife. We usually stay at Sea Pine Resort in Los Osos. Back then the place we looked at was around $150K which was outrageous in the early 80's. Last time I checked a couple of years ago it was on the market for $700K but could be had for $500K Short Sale. That area got hammered.
                  Actually the Diablo (puke) nuke plant is about 1/2 way between Los Osos and Avila Beach. It is the LAST operating nuke plant in all of CA! My friend just retired from working as a plant operator their, (he was the guy that got to hit the switch to shut down the plant on its last "oops" at a cost of $1 mil a day!) I wish they would close it down permanently as I am down wind from it, and it would sure mess with my life if it ever had a problem... It is being scrutinized right now, as it is very near an earth quake fault, (can you say "just like Japan"?) There is NO WHERE to put the spent fuel, the pool is full, they just built a "dry cask" storage area to stuff some of the older crap into, but I think I read they are only good for like 50 to 100 years before they themselves become too hot, and have to be swapped out. They also just finished one REAL HUGE solar farm about 40+ miles East as the crow flies from San Luis, and the 2nd solar farm is even bigger than the first, and is almost completed too. They are tapping into the Diablo transmission lines, so I guess something good came out of Diablo, (the transmission lines)! Of coarse,, ya still have the green Nazi's making the solar farms jump through all kinds of hoops, and spend millions for Kangaroo rats, kit foxes, and any other thing they can throw out there, and claim it is an endangered plant or animal. Really dumb as the kit fox's are very plentiful, (see them often out there), and the kangaroo rat's are a real menace if you camp out in that area as they eat the wiring and steal your fire wall insulation off your truck!!! There truly is enough empty, mostly useless land out where they are building these solar farms to build lots more of them, and I wish they would, and close Diablo! The land out there is not good for grazing, farming, and too remote for housing. There IS some gold in the La Panza area, but then, thats another story...

Housing prices slid a BUNCH on the last down turn around here, however, the tax assessor just raised my tax value right back to where it would be, even had there been no down turn,, so I think we are climbing back up fast! Average SLO county home price I think was like $390K last month, not too bad considering it is "paradise" around here!

"Sea Pine Resort" I did not even know that existed!

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Beachnut
                    There is NO WHERE to put the spent fuel, the pool is full, they just built a "dry cask" storage area to stuff some of the older crap into, but I think I read they are only good for like 50 to 100 years before they themselves become too hot, and have to be swapped out.
                    • You do understand there is no reason to store spent fuel rods right?
                    • You do understand if they close the plant hundreds of high paying jobs are lost right?
                    • You do understand if they close the plant all that missing power has to come from out of state at higher cost right?
                    • You do understand the consequences of what you wish for right?
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Beachnut
                      • Aug 2013

• You do understand there is no reason to store spent fuel rods right?
                      • You do understand if they close the plant hundreds of high paying jobs are lost right?
                      • You do understand if they close the plant all that missing power has to come from out of state at higher cost right?
                      • You do understand the consequences of what you wish for right?

So where do you suggest they put these used / spent fuel rods?
                      Seeing no one wants them, and we spent billions building a place to put them, that we can not use....

Those high paying jobs could go into building more solar farms, or, into the 15+ years of DE-commissioning the reactor!

Yes I do know what it would be like to wish for no nuke in my backyard so to speak. But realize even if it were to close,, those "spent" rods that you have such a great plan for, will be stored in place, either forever, or until they melt down their container,, or, until someone comes up with a viable plan to move them out of there. (Now THATS "wishful thinking")!! Nuke is past its prime. Japan knows it, its high time we realize it too. At least France "thinks" they can recycle their spent rods. But with 100+ years worth of natural gas sitting within our borders, solar, and wind farms, Nuke is PUKE! IMHO (and i am for sure no "Greenie" either, just logical).

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

Seeing no one wants them, and we spent billions building a place to put them, that we can not use....
                        I see you have been brainwashed. You do know the USA is the only country that stores spent fuel rods right?

All other countries reprocess their rods and reuse the fuel to last forever. You can thank the Traitor Jimmy Carter for doing that when he signed an XO stopping reprocessing fuel rods in the USA and forcing utilities to store the rods on site. Very stupid. Wiped out thousands of high paying jobs, raised energy cost, and turned plants into ghost towns. Wise up all i ttakes is th estroke of a pen to fix it.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Those high paying jobs could go into building more solar farms, or, into the 15+ years of DE-commissioning the reactor!

Yes I do know what it would be like to wish for no nuke in my backyard so to speak. But realize even if it were to close,, those "spent" rods that you have such a great plan for, will be stored in place, either forever, or until they melt down their container,, or, until someone comes up with a viable plan to move them out of there. (Now THATS "wishful thinking")!! Nuke is past its prime. Japan knows it, its high time we realize it too. At least France "thinks" they can recycle their spent rods. But with 100+ years worth of natural gas sitting within our borders, solar, and wind farms, Nuke is PUKE! IMHO (and i am for sure no "Greenie" either, just logical).
                          Most other countries just recycle their rods. It was our stupid administration that decided we should "bury" them. Too bad because they still have a lot of "fuel" left in them which can be used.

It must have been someone that had a lot of investments in oil to make that decision but I think it was Bill C.

Oh by the way. A lot of our Military places are working toward being self sufficient concerning power. Their game plan is small packaged nukes and renewable energy. Both sources have a lot of fuel reserve and not dependant on importing it to the installation. So your thinking that Nuclear is past its prime is way off base.
                          Last edited by SunEagle; 09-16-2013, 08:06 PM. Reason: added comments

Comment

• Naptown
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2011

Actually I think it was Bush.
                            NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Naptown
                              Actually I think it was Bush.
                              Then the justification was based on oil. I wasn't sure.

Comment

Working...