This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a solar panel to power dusk to dawn solar lights

I need an led floodlight that is as bright as a normal led flashlight. I cannot find anything good on the internet so I want to make my own using a 6v led lantern flashlight. To power it i need some sort of solar panel, one that has a battery and emits power when it is night. You know, the one that comes with solar light strings. I cant find them being sold individually.
    Also how much voltage do they usually have? What would I need to power a 6v lantern flashlight? Should i use a different flashlight instead? The best would be a 3 led floodlight but i cant find any good one so i plan to use a flashlight.
    I want to pay under $20 for this.

Originally posted by asdf9 View Post
    I need an led floodlight that is as bright as a normal led flashlight. I cannot find anything good on the internet so I want to make my own using a 6v led lantern flashlight. To power it i need some sort of solar panel, one that has a battery and emits power when it is night. You know, the one that comes with solar light strings. I cant find them being sold individually.
    Also how much voltage do they usually have? What would I need to power a 6v lantern flashlight? Should i use a different flashlight instead? The best would be a 3 led floodlight but i cant find any good one so i plan to use a flashlight.
    I want to pay under $20 for this.
    Did you check for a Solar Security Floodlight. Usually they are brighter than the garden lights you find. I found have a dozen different types that include the solar panel, battery and motion detector to turn it on with a price range of $80 to $150. I don't think you will find anything that has a bright light for under $20.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
      Did you check for a Solar Security Floodlight. Usually they are brighter than the garden lights you find. I found have a dozen different types that include the solar panel, battery and motion detector to turn it on with a price range of $80 to $150. I don't think you will find anything that has a bright light for under $20.
      I dont need it very bright. as bright as a normal led flashlight is good enough. And i want it to be dusk to dawn like a garden light, not motion detecting.

Comment

No need to reinvent the wheel. The Big Orange store has a ton of solar lights to choose from. I have two of these I picked up on clearance.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Malibu-LE...0#.Ug1lpPIo6cw

They are surprisingly bright and stay on all night this time of year. I own lots of solar lights and these are by far my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by green View Post
          No need to reinvent the wheel. The Big Orange store has a ton of solar lights to choose from. I have two of these I picked up on clearance.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Malibu-LE...0#.Ug1lpPIo6cw

They are surprisingly bright and stay on all night this time of year. I own lots of solar lights and these are by far my favorite.
          Well that doesnt mount on a wall, but i could convert it to mount on a wall. But the problem is that it is expensive. 40 dollars per light is too much.

Comment

Well that doesnt mount on a wall, but i could convert it to mount on a wall. But the problem is that it is expensive. 40 dollars per light is too much.
            You are not going to find a solar spot light that is worth a damn under $20. Building it yourself using a solar panel, flashlight and battery will cost you even more than buying something from big orange. Good luck in your search.

Comment

Most LED flashlights do not have proper heatsinking for their LED's. They rely on a fading battery to limit the heat production. Running several hours a night will cook the led in a fairly short time.

Morningstar makes a charge controller with a DUSK - DAWN lighting controller, and you could run several watts of LED off it.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                Most LED flashlights do not have proper heatsinking for their LED's. They rely on a fading battery to limit the heat production. Running several hours a night will cook the led in a fairly short time.

Morningstar makes a charge controller with a DUSK - DAWN lighting controller, and you could run several watts of LED off it.
                can i have a link? theres many morningstars out there :P

Comment

can i have a link? theres many morningstars out there :P
                  SunLight 10 Amp 12 Volt Solar Lighting Controller about $90
                  http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sun-light

Also the venerable Trace/Xantrex/Schneider C-12 also has a dusk-dawn lighting feature. Also about $90

If you want quality, you will have to buy it. So consider the other $40 floodlight kits, if you can stand them fading out @ midnight in the winter. Otherwise, a 40w PV panel, one of the above controllers, a deep cycle battery and a led light, should work quite well.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

You can check here tocheaptopayforadvertising.com for some great solar stuffs, hope this will help you buddy.

Mod note - if you wish to advertise contact user name Jason.
                    Last edited by Mike90250; 10-31-2014, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanwebster029 View Post
                      You can check here tocheaptopayforadvertising.com for some great solar stuffs, hope this will help you buddy.

Mod note - if you wish to advertise contact user name Jason.
                      ugh man this is a very old thread, why did you create an account to bump it?! I already solved this problem
                      and that URL doesn't even work

can some mod plz lock or delete this

Comment

ugh man this is a very old thread, why did you create an account to bump it?! I already solved this problem
                        and that URL doesn't even work

can some mod plz lock or delete this
                        Your wish is my wish.
                        Often spammers try to bury their posts in an old thread, hoping that the mods will not notice it. They feel more exposed if they start their own thread.
                        Fortunately that does them on good on this Forum.
                        We do not generally delete old threads since they may contain useful information for others. They do get archived after awhile.

By request of the OP, this thread is closed. Any additional information on a related topic can just start a new thread and refer back to this one if it seems necessary.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
                        X