No announcement yet.

pool pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st - conservation - reduce your energy usage. Any power you don't use you don't have to produce

2nd - Grid tied system to offset any electricity you do use

in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf View Post
      1st - conservation - reduce your energy usage. Any power you don't use you don't have to produce

2nd - Grid tied system to offset any electricity you do use

in that order.

Given that the 30% federal tax credit for solar is due to expire 12-31-16, do you think there is an argument for installing a grid tied system before all planned conservation efforts have been implemented, based perhaps on an estimate of reduced usage after subsequent conservation?

How long before 12-31-16 would you consider a safe amount of time to start the process of getting bids from solar contractors to ensure that a PV system in "put in use" by the 12-31-16 deadline?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by OvertheSun View Post
        Given that the 30% federal tax credit for solar is due to expire 12-31-16, do you think there is an argument for installing a grid tied system before all planned conservation efforts have been implemented, based perhaps on an estimate of reduced usage after subsequent conservation?

How long before 12-31-16 would you consider a safe amount of time to start the process of getting bids from solar contractors to ensure that a PV system in "put in use" by the 12-31-16 deadline?

Thanks!
        Depends on how much money you want to piss away.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Thanks!
          Conserve first is always the rule. However you need to look at your tax situation. The 30% is non refundable(meaning that if you don't have the tax liability to cover the entire amount of the credit) so if you can't use it up before the deadline you will lose it.
          NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

I had the number somewhre but as I recall it's pretty low. The salt cell is so much more efficient than buying and storing chlorine that it's a non-factor for me.

Originally posted by thastinger View Post
            Have you ever figured out how much power the T-15 cell uses?

Comment

Thanks!
              It shouldn't take you that long to figure out what you can conserve and how much reduction you'll be able save through your conservation. You should be able to figure this all out within a month or two if you put your mind to it, and still have the rest of 2014 to implement a solar system based on new results. So there's no need to worry about putting together a system now because you don't have time to conserve against the 2016 deadline.

I had a single speed 3 HP pool pump that takes 2,550 W to run at 3450 RPM. I replaced it with a variable speed pump and run it at 1400 RPM and it takes 260 W. I just have to run it about twice as long to get the same amount of water turn-over at the lower speed. But it basically saves me 80% or energy, plus I get to keep the pool circulating continuously twice as long (reduced stagnation time).

Comment

Originally posted by Volusiano View Post
                It shouldn't take you that long to figure out what you can conserve and how much reduction you'll be able save through your conservation. You should be able to figure this all out within a month or two if you put your mind to it, and still have the rest of 2014 to implement a solar system based on new results. So there's no need to worry about putting together a system now because you don't have time to conserve against the 2016 deadline.

I had a single speed 3 HP pool pump that takes 2,550 W to run at 3450 RPM. I replaced it with a variable speed pump and run it at 1400 RPM and it takes 260 W. I just have to run it about twice as long to get the same amount of water turn-over at the lower speed. But it basically saves me 80% or energy, plus I get to keep the pool circulating continuously twice as long (reduced stagnation time).
                Thank you very much for taking the time to answer. Yep, my problem isn't knowing what needs to be done or how much it will save, but having the time and money to do everything quickly enough. My other concern is that there may be a flood of people installing solar in 2016 that could impact lead time.

A new VS pool pump is definitely on my radar, but there are a lot of variables to consider. We have solar pool heating (that is taking up prime real estate on our roof) and our current pump runs around 6-8 hrs during the day so that it heats the pool as well as filtering it. I'm wondering how a slower speed will affect the pool heating? Then there is the consideration of how much space we have on the roof for PV panels given that the pool heating is taking up quite a bit, whether the pool panels can be moved or even if they should be moved because of rumored changes to set back requirements that would reduce the total space available for anything, and which I assume would apply to the pool heater if it were moved, but wouldn't if I leave it where it is...

Comment

You need to figure out exactly how high the panels are because you will need a certain psi to get the water up to them. My pump runs about 20 psi on full speed but only about 4 psi on 1/2 speed. 4 psi will get me about 9 feet of lift. The higher your panels, the more PSI you need and the faster the pump needs to run.

I would think that if the pump could lift the water it would work very well with the solar panels because you'd be constantly circulating water through them rather than 4 hours per day. You also will need to make sure you do not run water through them at night because it will have the opposite effect, actually cooling the pool.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer. Yep, my problem isn't knowing what needs to be done or how much it will save, but having the time and money to do everything quickly enough. My other concern is that there may be a flood of people installing solar in 2016 that could impact lead time.

A new VS pool pump is definitely on my radar, but there are a lot of variables to consider. We have solar pool heating (that is taking up prime real estate on our roof) and our current pump runs around 6-8 hrs during the day so that it heats the pool as well as filtering it. I'm wondering how a slower speed will affect the pool heating? Then there is the consideration of how much space we have on the roof for PV panels given that the pool heating is taking up quite a bit, whether the pool panels can be moved or even if they should be moved because of rumored changes to set back requirements that would reduce the total space available for anything, and which I assume would apply to the pool heater if it were moved, but wouldn't if I leave it where it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Wellman View Post
                    You need to figure out exactly how high the panels are because you will need a certain psi to get the water up to them. My pump runs about 20 psi on full speed but only about 4 psi on 1/2 speed. 4 psi will get me about 9 feet of lift. The higher your panels, the more PSI you need and the faster the pump needs to run.

I would think that if the pump could lift the water it would work very well with the solar panels because you'd be constantly circulating water through them rather than 4 hours per day. You also will need to make sure you do not run water through them at night because it will have the opposite effect, actually cooling the pool.
                    Thanks! The distributor for the pump, who also provides service to the equipment, identified a VS pump that would technically "work" and in theory save money. I was more concerned that it would effectively heat the pool given that we already run the single speed pump for 6-8 hrs/day. I think I'm just overwhelmed by all the permutations and conflicting considerations at this point. It doesn't help that very few solar pool heating contractors around here also do solar electric. Maybe I could just schedule one of each to come out here at the same time and discuss the options amongst themselves while I take notes. LOL!

BTW - the solar pool heater has a sensor that detects the temp on the roof and shuts a valve in the plumbing loop so the water doesn't run through the panels at night or when it is too cold. I'm keenly aware of this sensor because it dies and has to be replaced every 2-3 years!

Comment

Well I also have a pool pump with my above ground pool. Its Hayward super pump 1 1/2 but I closed my pool 6 months before and now I am just checking the things because summer is coming and soon we have to open the pool again. But my pump is not running like it have no power. I checked all power connection but don't know what to do? please help

Comment

Originally posted by Kenneth P. Coleman View Post
                        Well I also have a pool pump with my above ground pool. Its Hayward super pump 1 1/2 but I closed my pool 6 months before and now I am just checking the things because summer is coming and soon we have to open the pool again. But my pump is not running like it have no power. I checked all power connection but don't know what to do? please help
                        If it's 2-3 years old, they freeze up when left dry for the Winter. The shaft seal wears out and the shaft corrodes to the basket. You may be able to free it up if you can spin the impellar in the basket, if not, you'll have to buy a rebuild kit for it or you might try taking it apart and cleaning the corrosion from the pump shaft first.
                        1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Originally posted by thastinger View Post
                          If it's 2-3 years old, they freeze up when left dry for the Winter. The shaft seal wears out and the shaft corrodes to the basket. You may be able to free it up if you can spin the impellar in the basket, if not, you'll have to buy a rebuild kit for it or you might try taking it apart and cleaning the corrosion from the pump shaft first.
                          1. Would oiling it or flushing it out with automotive anti-freeze when shutting down for the winter help prevent that from happening again? Or would it just be more likely to damage the seals?

2. I have a low speed (1800 RPM) 1/8 horse pump for a water feature which I shut down from time to time to save power and water, and when I restart it it makes some odd noises at the pump end for a couple of days.

I cannot do anything drastic to it at shutoff since the pump is feeding a fish pond.
                          Last edited by inetdog; 02-28-2014, 07:32 PM.
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Volusiano View Post

Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by cor View Post
                              Hey all, it seems the more you read this forum, the more people are trying to get you away from solar I was thinking of installing a solar pool pump, but reading other threads it may seem better to use a variable speed efficient pump. I have a 10000 gallon pool using a 1HP Hayward UST1102 motor (I think its a hayward max-flo system, i inherited the setup and cant find a model). The pump is on about 2-4 hours a day. That costs me a little under $50 a month at 4 hours. There is also a salt chlorination system.

So whats the way to go? Energy is currently at $0.40 a kWh. Should I investigate a solar based system, or go for a variable speed pump?

regards

cor
                              Hello core,

I think you should go for solar based system or solar heating source rather than any speed heat pump because solar pool heating source can heat a swimming pool quickly and they are more effective then heat pumps. Solar Pool Heaters use renewable energy to heat a swimming pool and this is the best choice for swimming pool. Solar based systems are easily affordable, so that i would like to suggest you to go for solar based system.

Comment

Water Pump

I never use the solar pump before but I want to use it in future.I purchased a water pump two years from donex engineering and it still working excellent.Its quality is very good.Donex are the leading manufacturer of water pump and clutch plate in india.

Comment

Working...
                                X