pool pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pool pump

Hey all, it seems the more you read this forum, the more people are trying to get you away from solar I was thinking of installing a solar pool pump, but reading other threads it may seem better to use a variable speed efficient pump. I have a 10000 gallon pool using a 1HP Hayward UST1102 motor (I think its a hayward max-flo system, i inherited the setup and cant find a model). The pump is on about 2-4 hours a day. That costs me a little under $50 a month at 4 hours. There is also a salt chlorination system.

So whats the way to go? Energy is currently at $0.40 a kWh. Should I investigate a solar based system, or go for a variable speed pump?

regards

cor

If your salt cell isn't running at 100% then adjust it up to 100% and cut the pump runtime down another hour to 3.

I'm not sold on the 2 speed pumps with the saltwater cells because the cells have flow sensors in them (as safety devices) which I'm not sure if they would function on the low speed setting of the 2 speed pump. It could work if you were able to get the flow requirements of the sensor and size a 2 speed pump so that the sensor would still work on the low setting of the pump.
    1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Originally posted by cor View Post
      So whats the way to go? Energy is currently at $0.40 a kWh. Should I investigate a solar based system, or go for a variable speed pump?
      I would forget the solar pool pump system and just get a Grid Tied Solar PV system to help offset that $.40kWh rate you are paying. That way the system will be helping you even when you are not using the pool.

Comment

I have a SWCG (chlorine cell) on mine also and the flow switch seems to work OK. If my filter gets clogged and the flow drops a little then it will flutter and the cell will not work.

Do a search on here for my pool pump energy savings.
        1-HP = 8 amps and 50-60 GPM flow
        1/2 speed = 1 amp and about 20-30 gpm flow.
        Run your pump 2x as long for 1/2 the power.

Originally posted by thastinger View Post
        If your salt cell isn't running at 100% then adjust it up to 100% and cut the pump runtime down another hour to 3.

I'm not sold on the 2 speed pumps with the saltwater cells because the cells have flow sensors in them (as safety devices) which I'm not sure if they would function on the low speed setting of the 2 speed pump. It could work if you were able to get the flow requirements of the sensor and size a 2 speed pump so that the sensor would still work on the low setting of the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Wellman View Post
          I have a SWCG (chlorine cell) on mine also and the flow switch seems to work OK. If my filter gets clogged and the flow drops a little then it will flutter and the cell will not work.

Do a search on here for my pool pump energy savings.
          1-HP = 8 amps and 50-60 GPM flow
          1/2 speed = 1 amp and about 20-30 gpm flow.
          Run your pump 2x as long for 1/2 the power.
          Have you ever figured out how much power the T-15 cell uses?
          1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Hey all, it seems the more you read this forum, the more people are trying to get you away from solar I was thinking of installing a solar pool pump, but reading other threads it may seem better to use a variable speed efficient pump. I have a 10000 gallon pool using a 1HP Hayward UST1102 motor (I think its a hayward max-flo system, i inherited the setup and cant find a model). The pump is on about 2-4 hours a day. That costs me a little under $50 a month at 4 hours. There is also a salt chlorination system.

regards

cor

I'd definitely look at the variable speed pump, maybe the Hayward Ecotech. With energy that pricy, the variable speed pump should drop your cost to about $10 a month or less and pay for itself in roughly 2 years. You'd be able to run the pump more frequently, albeit at lower power, while still being able to do your heavy duty cleaning during off-peak times.

Comment

Hey all, it seems the more you read this forum, the more people are trying to get you away from solar
              Hi Cor - Not really trying to get anyone away from solar but trying to get them to the best, most economical solution - some times that is solar and sometimes not.

The object of most is just to do the best they can.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by green View Post
                I would forget the solar pool pump system and just get a Grid Tied Solar PV system to help offset that $.40kWh rate you are paying. That way the system will be helping you even when you are not using the pool.

This notion of course ignores entirely that he still needs a pump to run his pool By going with a variable speed pump system, he essentially reduces his energy usage by a tremendous amount and there's no better way of being "green" than simply using less power overall.

Comment

Originally posted by KRenn View Post
                  This notion of course ignores entirely that he still needs a pump to run his pool By going with a variable speed pump system, he essentially reduces his energy usage by a tremendous amount and there's no better way of being "green" than simply using less power overall.
                  And this notion ignores the fact that he doesn't "need" a pump. His original post states that he does in fact already have one.

My point was only that with a $.40kWh rate, a Grid Tied system would help him even if his pump wasn't running. I do agree however that converting to higher efficiency equipment is a wise decision.

Comment

Originally posted by green View Post
                    And this notion ignores the fact that he doesn't "need" a pump. His original post states that he does in fact already have one.

My point was only that with a $.40kWh rate, a Grid Tied system would help him even if his pump wasn't running. I do agree however that converting to higher efficiency equipment is a wise decision.

Still an entirely ridiculous notion. A variable speed pump will use 80%-90% less power than his current setup. Tacking on solar to an already inefficient home is foolish. Every $1 you spend on improving efficiency offsets about $4-5 youd spend on solar.

Simply using solar to cover up grossly inefficient use is economically and environmentally foolhardy. Theres nothing greener nor cheaper than electricity that you dont use and with many states offering incentives on VS pumps, the economics look even better.

Comment

cor stated his current electrical costs to run the pump ~ 4 hours/day are around $50/month. So if he installs a variable speed pump and reduces his cost by 90% that is a $45/month savings.

Those variable pumps cost around $1000. So at $45/month savings the payback would be almost 2 years. Which isn't a bad ROI.

Comment

KRenn maybe you missed the part where I agreed with you. Don't let my name offend you. I understand first hand how much upgrading inefficient equipment saves. I had an energy audit done and wound up replacing all off my appliances and furnace and hot water heater as well as upgrading all of my lighting. I have managed to shave 40% off of my energy usage.

I originally came here to learn about a grid tied system and realized through the good folks here that upgrading first was the thing to do. I am still going to install a GT system, but I learned I had to get my ducks in a row first.

Comment

Tons of good info. Someone pointed me at http://www.ecopoolpumps.com/energy-e...ool-pumps.html today. Are these pumps worth looking at?

green, maybe there should be a subforum on energy efficient appliances etc.

Comment

Solar Heat Pumps

regards

cor
                            Yes, You should go for solar heat pump because heat pumps work efficiently and requires less energy to heat a pool. This is a best option to heat the swimming pool because it can raises the temperature at the level of 15 degree and can warm the water quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ezrio315 View Post
                              Yes, You should go for solar heat pump because heat pumps work efficiently and requires less energy to heat a pool. This is a best option to heat the swimming pool because it can raises the temperature at the level of 15 degree and can warm the water quickly.
                              Mod note - Two posts and both nonsense - be cautious
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X