Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help My solar panel don't work as it should.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help My solar panel don't work as it should.

Hi

I installed 12- 235watt panels on my system. I use an outback 60 amp charge controller. I got between 38 to 48amps charge on my 48 volts 8 battery bank onb good sun in the 11 am to 2 pm hours. I have 12 panel wired in 4 panel in each series with 3 series. the two series with one pair wire gave me about 26 to 33 amps and the one series with one pair wire give me 13 to 18 amps.

I purchase 8 more panels which is rated 250watt max. I also boungt one more 60 amps outback charge controller as one will not manage all the panels. how ever when I installed the new panel in two series of 4 each and conbine them to one pair charge wire, I only get between 15 to 20amps while the old 12 panels gave me 40 to 45 amps. when I disconnect the single series and the old 8 panel gave me ~30 amps and the new 8 panels only gave me ~17amps. what could be wrong?

Thanks .

Is it FM60 or C60 model?
    MSEE, PE

Comment

The FM 60 .

Comment

Why on earth are you running 2 Outback FM60's on 48 volt battery with less than 3000 watts? All it takes is one. I must be missing something.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

2 panel wired in 4 panel in each series with 3 series
          That's a problem.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by inverterbusiness
            May be his other problems of the equipment, the voltage and current is not stable, check the inverter
            It is a battery system. Inverter has nothing to do with it.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
              That's a problem.
              Good catch Mike if that is correct.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                That's a problem.

Someone translate his panel layout for me pls
                1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

I'm still confused on how he has his panels wired. This is what I get from his description.

For the original 12 x 235 watt panels; he has 3 parallel banks of 4 series wired panels. Total peak amps is 48 which would calculate to 16 amps per bank. Isn't 16 amps high for a 235 watt panel? That would calculate to only 14.5 volts per panel.

For the new set of 8 x 250 watt panels; he has 2 parallel banks of 4 series wire panels. Total peak amps is ~ 17 amps which would calculate to 8.5 amps per bank. That calculates to about 30 volts for a 250 watt panel which is about right.

There is something wrong with the wiring of his original 12 panel system or I am incorrect with how he has it wired.

What is the Vmp and Imp rating of the 235w and 250w panels?

Comment

The original panels is wired 4 panels in series and combine them in 2 set of wires to the charge controller. 2 series in one set wire and the other series with one set wire to the controller by it self. I have 3 dc brakers in a junction box on the roof. each series connected to one braker. two braker combine in one set wire and other by it self. so two set of wires go downstairs to the charge controller.

In the controller room there are two brakers which connected to the two set of wires. when I turn off the single series braker. the controller reading peak ~17 amps coming at ~100 to 105 volt. out to the batteries @~50 to 52 volts 34 amps.

When I use the single series alone it reading ~8 amps 100 to 105 volts coming and charging @ ~15 amps at 50 volts. when I turn on both it charge ~45 to 49amps. at~50 volts. the reason is if the new panels have the same amount of current it will be over the charge controller's limit. it will push the charge current to ~83 amps. Hence is the new controller.

But the new 8 panels which rated higher than the old ones is not giving me the amount current it claim. it only give me about 18 to 20 amps charging. which is 9 to 10 amps coming from the roof. when I use the volts meter check the volt in coming is said 132 to 133 volt. but when the charge controller connected it drop to ~68-88 volts depend on the sun. something is wrong.

Thanks.

Comment

So at the terminals in the CC, you have 2 seperate sets of wires? I.E. 2 hots on the "+" terminal and 2 grounds on the "-" terminal?
                      1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                        Why on earth are you running 2 Outback FM60's on 48 volt battery with less than 3000 watts? All it takes is one. I must be missing something.
                        The 12 panels claim they are 235 watts each @ 12 =2820 watt.
                        The new 8 panels claim 250watt each =2000 watt

That total 4820 watts. @48 volts = 100 amps.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by thastinger View Post
                          So at the terminals in the CC, you have 2 seperate sets of wires? I.E. 2 hots on the "+" terminal and 2 grounds on the "-" terminal?
                          I am not sure if they are shared the common negetive wires. there are two "+" wires. I have to check again.

Comment

The problem is not really the old panels. I know I should get a little more amps, the peak they claim should be about 58 amps but consider the 80% efficency and other factors like the sun and the wire etc. I accept the 10 amps lost on the old panels. but the new panels should have give 40 amps peak and they only give me less than half the amount at 18 to 20 amps peak.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by paulcheung View Post
                              The 12 panels claim they are 235 watts each @ 12 =2820 watt.
                              The new 8 panels claim 250watt each =2000 watt

That total 4820 watts. @48 volts = 100 amps.

Thank you.
                              No Paul that is not what we are asking. We know the panel wattages. It is th efull spec we need an dhow they are configured.

P-Max
                              Voc
                              Vmp
                              Imp
                              Isc.

How are they arranged? You cannot mix panels of different wattage without sacrifices. If in series the Imp is limited to the lowest value in the series string. Fo rexample if one panel is 7 amps and the other is 8 amps you only get 7 amps and you loose 9% of your power.

If in parallel the voltage is limited to the lowest value. For is one is 30 volts, and all others are 35 volts you only get 30 volts and loose 10% of your power.

What it sounds like to us from your description you have 2 panels in series in parallel with 3 panels in series. If that is the case you have eliminated 1 of the 5 panels and just as well throw it away or sell it.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                              X