X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNjunction
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by BiggDaddyMJL
    However I would want to wait until 50% DOD before letting the solar charger start charging?
    Nope - you could do it anytime you please. In fact, because you have the Omax charger, and will be using it every night, even if you have a charge controller that can only go up to 14.4v, that would be fine. The Omax will finish the job later. Just know that a 100w panel is glass and pretty big and prone to breakage in a mobile environment.

Lets put a hold on the solar aspect, and see how the battery does overall. Then get the mobile charging working. Wish I had more mobile / RV knowledge, but I can't guide you there. Even if you only have 14.1v at the terminals, that's ok for opportunity charging in between jobs since once again the Omax will pick up the slack later.

I suffer from a bad case of TMIS, or Too Much Information Syndrome, so I apologize.

Also, you don't really have to wait 24 hours before taking a "resting" ocv measurement. It will be more accurate, but in reality, you can get pretty ballpark within 2 - 4 hours of rest.

Truth be told, recycle all those old battery chargers. Some may be simple taper chargers that have almost nothing more than a transformer and a half-wave rectifier which puts out some nasty ripple. Others may be CC chargers that will let the voltage shoot right through the roof. I'd say for now leave ALL your charging to the Omax, now that we know the fan isn't running all the time. If you need another charger, we can fine tune that later.

By the way, know that Sears Platinums may have a better deal than buying Odyssey's even though they are the same. However, always be on the lookout for stores that may not know their inventory, and try to pawn off some new-old-stock that is older than 2 years, has been dropped on the floor by customers playing with it, etc. Just keep your eyes open.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Bueller? Bueller?

Ok so I bit the bullet and just bought one of Odyssey's battery chargers. The OMAX-25A-1B which is a bigger charger then I need for a pc925 battery but I figured if I like these batteries that much that I'll get a charger that would work for bigger batteries in case I want one for say a truck. So that's taken care of. Only thing that sucks is these charges are for Odyssey batteries only. So now I have a $150 charger that I can only use for these batteries. So $300 later I have a battery and charger.

So that takes care of recharging the battery in the garage but I still need to know if using my truck to recharge the odyssey battery while I'm on the road is ok as stated in my #2 question in my post above???????
      Oddysey batteries are made for vehicle charging systems.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• PNjunction
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2012

Very true - they do very well in that environment for sure, but we can do even better.

To get the most out of them, you need to get them up to 14.7v, finish absorb, and get into some hours of float, which is easily done out of the vehicle. At the very least, for those looking to get even more from say a vehicle charging system that runs low 14 volts, and does a bunch of short-trips, a monthly application of a decent charger really does help extend the life of an already expensive purchase. Might as well take it all the way!

Comment

• BiggDaddyMJL
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by PNjunction
          Nope - you could do it anytime you please. In fact, because you have the Omax charger, and will be using it every night, even if you have a charge controller that can only go up to 14.4v, that would be fine. The Omax will finish the job later. Just know that a 100w panel is glass and pretty big and prone to breakage in a mobile environment.

Lets put a hold on the solar aspect, and see how the battery does overall. Then get the mobile charging working. Wish I had more mobile / RV knowledge, but I can't guide you there. Even if you only have 14.1v at the terminals, that's ok for opportunity charging in between jobs since once again the Omax will pick up the slack later.

I suffer from a bad case of TMIS, or Too Much Information Syndrome, so I apologize.

Also, you don't really have to wait 24 hours before taking a "resting" ocv measurement. It will be more accurate, but in reality, you can get pretty ballpark within 2 - 4 hours of rest.

Truth be told, recycle all those old battery chargers. Some may be simple taper chargers that have almost nothing more than a transformer and a half-wave rectifier which puts out some nasty ripple. Others may be CC chargers that will let the voltage shoot right through the roof. I'd say for now leave ALL your charging to the Omax, now that we know the fan isn't running all the time. If you need another charger, we can fine tune that later.

By the way, know that Sears Platinums may have a better deal than buying Odyssey's even though they are the same. However, always be on the lookout for stores that may not know their inventory, and try to pawn off some new-old-stock that is older than 2 years, has been dropped on the floor by customers playing with it, etc. Just keep your eyes open.
          No need to apologize. Like I said I like to learn. Type away

That's what I was thinking. Space on both the sprayer itself is VERY limited and the truck isn't much better. Not to mention my line of work is very hard on things and demanding. It's one thing if I'm the one using everything and quite another to trust someone else to care enough to not damage or break things.

At this point I may be way farther ahead to add a 2nd pc925 and swap one out for the other at some point during the day and charge them both up on the Omax charger at night. Who knows I might even be able to get by on just the one battery after I get some testing hours done. Just playing with the idea of a solar setup and getting an idea on costs and components and how I would build everything. The other thing I may do is add a battery isolator. Didn't know what it was until yesterday. I just don't know much about them.

It's more like 18 hours at this point but the pc925 is holding steady at 13.14 volts.

Thanks for the help and info PCJunction

Comment

• BiggDaddyMJL
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
            Oddysey batteries are made for vehicle charging systems.
            Sunking, So you agree that hooking up the Oddysey battery in my truck like I am will work? Any suggestions on a battery isolator? Are these based off the amps the truck alternator puts out or the batteries? Or both?

Comment

• PNjunction
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2012

It's more like 18 hours at this point but the pc925 is holding steady at 13.14 volts.
              That's pretty common for a new one that got a decent charge. If you let it go a few days, you may see it slowly drop to about 12.9 to 13.1 volts and hover there. Let us know how things go with the project..

Backup plan in case the Omax charger dies for some reason: with your generic schumacher speedcharger, there is a very high likelyhood it will want to go about 0.7v higher than normal for any of the battery chemistry settings. A workaround for this very agressive behavior is to purposely set the chemistry to GEL (normally about 14.0v industry standard for gel) and the charger will then take that up to 14.7, which is more appropriate for the Odyssey.

I am just SO happy you didn't apply that generic speedcharger to the Odyssey, dutifully set it for agm, and come back to a boiling situation absorbing at 15.5 volts!

The Fluke 87v will confirm this gel workaround for agm if you let the generic charger charge up to about 75%, and then by enabling the 87v's min/max/avg function, you'll be easily able to watch it walk right on up to 14.7v in gel mode during absorb! (a REAL bummer for actual gel owners that don't need desulfation!). After that it will float, but the float voltage may be 13.2 volts, which Odyssey does not like. Anyway, trust your 87v to reveal what chargers actually do, vs what they say on the box. Basically I tell anyone charging agm's that are in good condition with the generic speedchargers to use the wrong gel setting on purpose because of the over-voltage they like to do.

I'll let the others comment on how best to hook up to the alternator for charging that way ...

Comment

• BiggDaddyMJL
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by PNjunction
                That's pretty common for a new one that got a decent charge. If you let it go a few days, you may see it slowly drop to about 12.9 to 13.1 volts and hover there. Let us know how things go with the project..

Backup plan in case the Omax charger dies for some reason: with your generic schumacher speedcharger, there is a very high likelyhood it will want to go about 0.7v higher than normal for any of the battery chemistry settings. A workaround for this very agressive behavior is to purposely set the chemistry to GEL (normally about 14.0v industry standard for gel) and the charger will then take that up to 14.7, which is more appropriate for the Odyssey.

I am just SO happy you didn't apply that generic speedcharger to the Odyssey, dutifully set it for agm, and come back to a boiling situation absorbing at 15.5 volts!

The Fluke 87v will confirm this gel workaround for agm if you let the generic charger charge up to about 75%, and then by enabling the 87v's min/max/avg function, you'll be easily able to watch it walk right on up to 14.7v in gel mode during absorb! (a REAL bummer for actual gel owners that don't need desulfation!). After that it will float, but the float voltage may be 13.2 volts, which Odyssey does not like. Anyway, trust your 87v to reveal what chargers actually do, vs what they say on the box. Basically I tell anyone charging agm's that are in good condition with the generic speedchargers to use the wrong gel setting on purpose because of the over-voltage they like to do.

I'll let the others comment on how best to hook up to the alternator for charging that way ...

13.08v as of today.

All good info and interesting. My old schumacher charger is way too old. Probably made before gel batteries were out. Only 3 settings on a toggle switch: 10 amp, 30 amp, and off. Not even sure how the 50amp comes into play. No gel settings or battery types, etc.

Thanks for all the help and I will update as things change or I need more help. I remembered this site when the last battery died so I came back and posted. So thanks for the help on that both before and now.

I may be waiting for alternator help for some time

Comment

• PNjunction
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2012

Good news about it holding voltage.

Perhaps ask the question about how best to charge an Odyssey PC-925 from the vehicle in a different forum, like the "Solar Living" forum here. It might get more attention up front.

Comment

• sheilagonzalez
                    • Aug 2014

Solar Pannel Project Help

Go @ indiegogo.com/projects/soulr-saviors-big-rig-solar-250kw-power-trailer by donating $10,000 you'll receive a limited edition personal solar charger commemorating your donation plus a travel Solar Backpack bag.

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by sheilagonzalez
                      Go @ indiegogo.com/projects/soulr-saviors-big-rig-solar-250kw-power-trailer by donating $10,000 you'll receive a limited edition personal solar charger commemorating your donation plus a travel Solar Backpack bag.
                      That is 3$ worth in a 2$ bag!
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by russ
                        russ

Didn't you flag "her" on another post?

Comment

• russ
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
                          russ

Didn't you flag "her" on another post?
                          She has been banned - Coming out of India
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• inetdog
                            Super Moderator
                            • May 2012

Originally posted by russ
                            The campaign started on August 5th and so far has raised $40 of the $250,000 goal.
                            I think the world agrees with your evaluation.
                            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
                              The campaign started on August 5th and so far has raised $40 of the $250,000 goal.
                              I think the world agrees with your evaluation.
                              I wonder who gave them the $40? Maybe it was Sunking

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle
                                I wonder who gave them the $40? Maybe it was Sunking
                                Yep on a contingency they put a bullet in their brain.
                                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...