No announcement yet.

Plexiglass UV resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is sld in the US as plexiglass and acrylic are two VERY different materials
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

OK I admit I know nothing about any possible differences if any.. But if there is a difference why do USA suppliers appear call it as the same ??

This is from a USA company. professionalplastics.

PLEXIGLASS SHEET - EXTRUDED Acrylic
      Plexiglass Sheet (Plexiglass Extruded Acrylic) is a glazing, signage, window or display material that is unaffected by moisture, and has a high strength-to-weight ratio. Plexiglass sheet ( Plexi, or Plexy) offers high light transmittance and can be heat-formed without loss of optical clarity. Professional Plastics sells Acrylite Sheet, Lucite Sheets & Optix Sheet brands rather than Plexiglas® brand sheets. Plexiglas® (one s) is a tradename of Arkema. Plexiglass acrylic sheets may vary slightly by brand. Acrylic can be cut, routed, polished, bent and formed. Shop our online store for the best plexiglass prices delivered to your door. ORDER PLEXIGLASS CUT-TO-SIZE BELOW - ENTER YOUR CUSTOM SIZE

If there is a difference in the material can you give exact composition of each type ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Solar View Post
        OK I admit I know nothing about any possible differences if any.. But if there is a difference why do USA suppliers appear call it as the same ??

If there is a difference in the material can you give exact composition of each type ?
        Well, here is what the manufacturer has to say.
        Altuglas International is a global leader in PMMA (polymethylmethacrylate) technology. We manufacture and market PMMA resin and sheet products under the brand name Plexiglas® in North and Latin America, and under the brand name Altuglas® in Asia/Pacific, Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
        The next question is whether the other "Acrylics" are really PMMA or some other formulation.

This is a situation where I would put some reasonable faith in the Wikipedia article. Particularly:
        It is often preferred because of its moderate properties, easy handling and processing, and low cost, but behaves in a brittle manner when loaded, especially under an impact force, and is more prone to scratching than conventional inorganic glass.
        But you already know that part.

And on the potential difference between generic "acrylic" and PMMA:
        PMMA has been sold under a variety of brand names and generic names. It is often generically called acrylic glass,[6] although it is chemically unrelated to glass. It is sometimes called simply acrylic, although acrylic can also refer to other polymers or copolymers containing polyacrylonitrile.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

I also read the Wicked peadia article And I understand it to say that Acrilic glass ,Plexi glass, Perspex ,Lucite and Acrylite are just interchangable names for the same product. All those names appear to be each manufacturers name for the one product. Well thats how I read it..

Now if someone can give the chemical compositions of Plexi glass and Acrylic glass and show they are different, Then it would appear that they are different,Cant accept an answer that simply says they are different.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Solar View Post
            I also read the Wicked peadia article And I understand it to say that Acrilic glass ,Plexi glass, Perspex ,Lucite and Acrylite are just interchangable names for the same product. All those names appear to be each manufacturers name for the one product. Well thats how I read it..

Now if someone can give the chemical compositions of Plexi glass and Acrylic glass and show they are different, Then it would appear that they are different,Cant accept an answer that simply says they are different.

How about "It is sometimes called simply acrylic, although acrylic can also refer to other polymers or copolymers containing polyacrylonitrile."

Containing polyacrylonitrile would definitely make it different chemically. So it really comes down to a detailed description of any particular brand of "acryilc". If it is made only from PMMA, then it is chemically the same as the original Plexiglas®. Anybody who markets something which contains polyacrylonitrile as well as PMMA would be producing something different. The particular brand names that are listed as interchangeable, like Lucite®, Perspex®, etc. ARE interchangeable. The problem is that "acrylic glass" by itself is not sufficient to insure that it is the same product.
            That said, anybody who markets their product specifically as the equivalent of Plexiglas® is probably telling the truth.

In addition to the chemical composition, there are other things about the manufacturing process which can give the end product differing properties. But those should be less important.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

This brings me back to the first question..
              If I went to Home Depot store in Arkansas and asked for a sheet of plexiglass then went to a Home Depot store in Wyoming and asked for a sheet of Acrylic glass would I get the same thing or two completely different things?

Comment

It seems its different here in Australia. the only name everyone here seems to use is Perspex..

Even simpler in Philippines if its not glass and you can see through it its plastic.
                Like if you have a mains voltage sag or a complete blackout its a "brownout" one word covers everything.

Comment

John - You are tilting windmills -
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                    What is sld in the US as plexiglass and acrylic are two VERY different materials
                    Russ I dont know anything about the subject but became interested only because of someone on this thread asking about plexiglass and acrylic glass. Then when you said "they are very different materials when sold in USA..
                    I cant see any difference and from adverts in USA I cant see any differences.

But you say they are very different materials. so I assume you must know or im sure you would not have said that. or someone else must know what those differences are and can tell me so I and others know also..

I heve read all I can find on google and wikipedia,.but so far cant see any differences no matter where its sold in the world.

Comment

In the US if you go to a builders supply and ask for plexiglass you get one thing - roof sheeting/ greenhouse cover - may be or may not be UV resistant

If you ask for acrylic you get a totally different material - much more costly for different uses.

Polycarbonate is another selection commonly used for greenhouse covers - much more expensive that plexiglass - again may or may not be UV resistant
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Russ ,,ok .. but why you not give the reply you give in #70 that I asked in #66??

Comment

And then there is Lexan (Polycarbonate)
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate

strong, but not tough, it has a very soft surface that weathers poorly.

"For use in applications exposed to weathering or UV-radiation, a special surface treatment is needed. This either can be a coating (e.g. for improved abrasion resistance), or a coextrusion for enhanced weathering resistance." You will not find this version at a consumer hobby shop.
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Well to be fair looking at McMaster-Carr I see some UV "non-glare" plexi that, cut down to 11x14 sheets, would cost less than $6 a piece. That's less than half the price from americanframe AND if I can cut it to specific sizes will save me money as well by not having to order larger sizes when I need them. If I can get them cut for me before shipping likely I'll pay a bit more but still much less than $12 a sheet. And if I skimped and got the regular UV stuff it's only $3 a sheet.

Is "TruVue" a retail moniker or a real superior piece of plexi? I'm guessing it's just a moniker for "UV resistant, non-glare plexi."

wind power

Comment

Originally posted by KrystleGrafton View Post
                              Well to be fair looking at McMaster-Carr I see some UV "non-glare" plexi that, cut down to 11x14 sheets, would cost less than $6 a piece. That's less than half the price from americanframe AND if I can cut it to specific sizes will save me money as well by not having to order larger sizes when I need them. If I can get them cut for me before shipping likely I'll pay a bit more but still much less than $12 a sheet. And if I skimped and got the regular UV stuff it's only $3 a sheet.

Is "TruVue" a retail moniker or a real superior piece of plexi? I'm guessing it's just a moniker for "UV resistant, non-glare plexi."
                              Look at greenhouse suppliers for UV resist plexi or polycarbonate - there it is important.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

making small plexiglass panels...

Does any one know how long real plexiglass lasts?
                                My phone won't let me see what I'm typing so it makes more look illiterate. Anyways, the size is only 3x7 inches and I would attach the cells with a small dab of silicone on such a sandwich . Do you think the plexiglass will not yellow for at least 5 years? I can't wait that long to find out but can't seem to find real world experience on the web
                                Thanks
                                Without massive amounts of clean energy
                                There will be no FREEDOM

Comment

Working...
                                X