Plexiglass UV resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plexiglass UV resistance

Debating whether to use glass or plexiglass on last panel. Any suggestions?

About UV damage to plexiglass over a period of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plexiglass

is softer and more easily scratched than glass
    transmits up to 92% of visible light
    has excellent environmental stability compared to other plastics such
    as polycarbonate, and is therefore often the material of choice for
    outdoors applications.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Has to be of the UV stabilized type?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I bought a sheet of UV Plexiglass for a solar panel that I was building and It cost me $150.00. They wouldn't sell it anyother way. Plexiglass is very good. I have made a couple with low iron gless also.

Comment

Low iron glass is what is in bathroom and cars right? If it shatters, what happens to your cells?

Comment

Tempered glass is used in bathroom glass - it is meant to shatter for safety reasons.

Low iron is a totally different thing.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by scheek View Post
              Low iron glass is what is in bathroom and cars right? If it shatters, what happens to your cells?
              Depends. Sometimes the glass cracks, and pebbleizes. (tempered glass does that) All the cracks shade the cells, and you loose 30% power. Then moisture gets in and rots the cells out.

Or, if the cells are bonded to the glass, they shatter too, and then the whole panel dies instantly.

All depends on how the panel gets broken - a baseball destroys the entire panel, a crack in a corner won't hurt much. Some examples attached
              Attached Files
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Low iron glass lets more light in to the cells and It to can be tempered. The glass in office buildings are tempered. I have one panel with Plexiglas ans two with low iron tempered glass and these seam to be holding up real good.
                alot of the commercial solar panels are made with glass.

Comment

What thickness glass?

If I am pricing out glass for DYI panels what thinkness should I be looking at? I assume that plate glass comes in a variety of thicknesses.

Standard window glass from the hardware seems way too fragle for an outdoor application where I will get a snow load. Is this because it isn't tempered or because it is too thin?

Anyone have any pointers on finding a supplier of low iron glass in the Boston area? I've called a couple of suppliers and they can quote low e glass but seemed puzzled at requests for low iron/anti reflective.

Comment

I just use the hardened standered glass that is 1/8 " thick. I have to ordere my glass from a local supplyer that get's it from denver , that is 100 miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFox 25 View Post
                      ...... I have one panel with Plexiglas ans two with low iron tempered glass and these seam to be holding up real good.........
                      Is your plexiglas still holding up well?
                      Have you measured the difference in output wattage's between the plex and the low iron panels?

Comment

As looking at the plexiglas it looks O K . I havn't measured the output for a long time , I'm changing the way I put the panels togeather and I'm making them biger , From 36 cell's to 72 cell's and I'm going with 5"x5" cell's from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFox 25 View Post
                          As looking at the plexiglas it looks O K . I havn't measured the output for a long time , I'm changing the way I put the panels togeather and I'm making them biger , From 36 cell's to 72 cell's and I'm going with 5"x5" cell's from now on.
                          I was just wondering if the power difference between the two justifies the extra expense for the tempered.

Comment

I'll have to take some readings and put it on here. When I was new to the solar panel thing that is the only way I knew how to make a solar panel. I think the plexiglas was a little bit more money but I had at the time buy a hole sheet of the stuff and my glass company cut it for me. I now can cut it myself. That is all I had at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                              Depends. Sometimes the glass cracks, and pebbleizes. (tempered glass does that) All the cracks shade the cells, and you loose 30% power. Then moisture gets in and rots the cells out.

Or, if the cells are bonded to the glass, they shatter too, and then the whole panel dies instantly.

All depends on how the panel gets broken - a baseball destroys the entire panel, a crack in a corner won't hurt much. Some examples attached
                              On the moisture issue Mike I think you can use a liquid sealer to seal the cells in place and then sandwich the cells in plexy

Comment

Working...
                              X