Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nat1971a
    • May 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
    Safest and intriguing but if it was a viable energy storage item the Utilities and Car companies would be lining up at the door to get a piece of the action. People like Gates have the millions to throw at all types of research with the expectation of using the "losses" from those failed investments as a wright off on their taxes.

Hopefully I am wrong but don't expect a product on the shelf before you see big business invest a lot of their money into it first. Keep an eye on them for a winner.
    This battery isn't suited to electric cars this is why their target market is renewables. At least this is what they state in their marketing material.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by nat1971a
      This battery isn't suited to electric cars this is why their target market is renewables. At least this is what they state in their marketing material.
      It may not be suited for cars in that format but the literature indicated it could be deeply discharged and have many recharge cycles. That is what the EV's need. Maybe the technology (if it works) can be converted to mobile uses.

Comment

• nat1971a
        • May 2013

It may not be suited for cars in that format but the literature indicated it could be deeply discharged and have many recharge cycles. That is what the EV's need. Maybe the technology (if it works) can be converted to mobile uses.

You are are probably right. I can imagine people will experiment with them in cars. The one advantage they have over lithium is their safety aspect. And at the end of the day this is critical. Last thing i want is a fire in my driveway or garage.

They also apparently require no BMS. So two advantages.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

You are are probably right. I can imagine people will experiment with them in cars. The one advantage they have over lithium is their safety aspect. And at the end of the day this is critical. Last thing i want is a fire in my driveway or garage.

They also apparently require no BMS. So two advantages.
          Yeah. Them lithium batteries have had a number of bad events. What most people don't know (and probably would freak out) is that 99% of all laptops have Lithium batteries.

Imagine one of them lighting up while being charged sitting on someones lap.

Comment

• nat1971a
            • May 2013

Yeah. Them lithium batteries have had a number of bad events. What most people don't know (and probably would freak out) is that 99% of all laptops have Lithium batteries.

Imagine one of them lighting up while being charged sitting on someones lap.

yeah i have seen a few videos on youtube where lithium batteries in electric bikes just catch on fire. So it would appear that the manufacturing process hasn't really been perfected. Also i keep wondering if my phone will catch on fire one day whilst it is in my pocket

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

yeah i have seen a few videos on youtube where lithium batteries in electric bikes just catch on fire. So it would appear that the manufacturing process hasn't really been perfected. Also i keep wondering if my phone will catch on fire one day whilst it is in my pocket
              I wouldn't be too worried about that. Most lithium batteries will not just self destruct. It usually happens when they are being charged or due to impact damage.

When charging they can fail if one of their cells is overcharged or if there is a physical defect and the charging causes it to short and then heat up.

Impact damage can happen if they are hit which then shorts out a couple of cells which then overheat and can cause a fire.

Otherwise the lithium battery is a very safe versatile high density storage unit.

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

I wouldn't be too worried about that. Most lithium batteries will not just self destruct. It usually happens when they are being charged or due to impact damage.

When charging they can fail if one of their cells is overcharged or if there is a physical defect and the charging causes it to short and then heat up.

Impact damage can happen if they are hit which then shorts out a couple of cells which then overheat and can cause a fire.

Otherwise the lithium battery is a very safe versatile high density storage unit.
                And despite its lower energy density the LiPFePO4 battery is so much more resistant to thermal runaway that it is generally preferred now for laptop and phone batteries.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• nat1971a
                  • May 2013

Originally posted by inetdog
                  And despite its lower energy density the LiPFePO4 battery is so much more resistant to thermal runaway that it is generally preferred now for laptop and phone batteries.
                  I found this in some older marketing material i have. Gives a good indication on how the batteries need to be stacked.

batterystack.jpg

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

I found this in some older marketing material i have. Gives a good indication on how the batteries need to be stacked.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2941[/ATTACH]
                    Nice pictures but it looks like they missed their launch dates by a few months.

Comment

• nat1971a
                      • May 2013

yeah i wish they would just get on with it and launch.....i need some decent batteries. I hope shipping them to Australia isn't going to be a problem.

anyways heres a blog about them testing in an off grid scenario

Saltwater battery is a great alternative for storage systems with their 100% DOD and nonflammable chemical qualities. Learn everything about them here.

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

yeah i wish they would just get on with it and launch.....i need some decent batteries. I hope shipping them to Australia isn't going to be a problem.

anyways heres a blog about them testing in an off grid scenario

http://www.aquionenergy.com/blog/bid...ies-with-Solar
                        That blog was almost 11 months ago in July 2012. Me thinks the test was not conclusive or they should have had something on the market by now like the pictures showed for the 4th Q of 2012 and 1st Q of 2013. We just finished the 2nd Q of 2013. I don't have high hopes for this battery.

Comment

• nat1971a
                          • May 2013

That blog was almost 11 months ago in July 2012. Me thinks the test was not conclusive or they should have had something on the market by now like the pictures showed for the 4th Q of 2012 and 1st Q of 2013. We just finished the 2nd Q of 2013. I don't have high hopes for this battery.
                          This blog may enhance your interest again

Stay current with our latest blog updates. Awards Commercial & Industrial Deployments Energy Storage Events In the News and Press Releases Microgrids Off Grid Residential Solar Technology Utility Scale Storage

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

Cartoons actually - they don't show anything but apparently it is supposed to satisfy the public?
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2009

http://www.aquionenergy.com/blog/bid...lure-Scenarios
                              A post about problems with lead acid batteries? That only means Aquion didn't have anything to say about their own product and they are very late according to their promises.

Watch this bunch disappear over the horizon - with the investors cash.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

http://www.aquionenergy.com/blog/bid...lure-Scenarios
                                Again the blog is a year old. While it shows some interesting data that these batteries don't lose their charge as fast as a lead acid type after many cycles you would think that type of success would have resulted in at least one version being on the market by now.

I'm afraid all of their bluster is nothing more than a way to get investors without a clear chance of a positive resulting product.

Like most things that seem too good to be true, they are usually something that barely makes it off the drawing board or out of the test lab.

Comment

Working...