Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquion Energy up and coming battery....opinions please

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articl...s-Up-35M-in-VC

I havent seen much of a discussion on these batteries. I am considering buying these as soon as they start production of them (Q4 2013 apparently). Bill Gates just invested in the company. The technology sounds like it is in the right direction

Anybody got some inside info they can share?

Cheers
    Nat

Don't hold your breath Gates is a complete failure as an energy technology investor. He bought in huge on NanoSolar. Read the article a little closer. They have not even made prototypes and only big plans of maybe building a factory in 2015. $35 million is nothing when it comes to bringing a new technology to market. You cannot even build a test lab for that, let alone a factory.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Don't hold your breath Gates is a complete failure as an energy technology investor. He bought in huge on NanoSolar. Read the article a little closer. They have not even made prototypes and only big plans of maybe building a factory in 2015. $35 million is nothing when it comes to bringing a new technology to market. You cannot even build a test lab for that, let alone a factory.

Prototypes have been built and apparently been tested by third parties.

More info below from another article:-

Initially, Aquion Energy is targeting renewable energy project developers who can use batteries to store energy and deliver it at peak times, when power is more expensive, he says. The batteries should work for up to 10,000 cycles, about a 10 year usable life, which Aquion expects to extend in future versions. In terms of cost, Wiley says the price will be between lead-acid batteries—the cheapest available now—and lithium-ion batteries.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...ets-on-aquion/

Comment

Energy storage is the holy grail for low cost power. RE use will be a minor customer for efficient type storage - the people most interested will be producers and utilities.

If they can take cheap unused base line power and shift it to peak periods it is a real big deal.

All the big boys like GE & Siemens would jump on something like this. The scamsters realize this plus the public's general lack of knowledge about the topic and presto here come many, many companies of this type.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
          Energy storage is the holy grail for low cost power. RE use will be a minor customer for efficient type storage - the people most interested will be producers and utilities.

If they can take cheap unused base line power and shift it to peak periods it is a real big deal.

All the big boys like GE & Siemens would jump on something like this. The scamsters realize this plus the public's general lack of knowledge about the topic and presto here come many, many companies of this type.

Hmm well the thing that grabs me about these batteries is this:-

http://www.aquionenergy.com/technology/

Technology
          Safe
          Aquion’s Aqueous Hybrid Ion (AHI) batteries are non-toxic, non-corrosive, and contain no heavy metals, making them environmentally benign. They can be disposed of as ordinary trash, although recycling is recommended. The electrolyte is sodium sulfate based salt water with a neutral pH. As a result, electrolyte spillage – a common hazard with both acid and alkaline based battery chemistries – is not a concern with AHI batteries. The batteries are also extremely fault tolerant. They can be short circuited without causing an explosion or fire. It has been shown that AHI batteries can operate after short circuit with only a slight degradation in overall capacity.

Reliable
          AHI batteries do not use corrosive reactions to store electrical energy as is common for other battery chemistries such as lead-acid. As a result, AHI batteries do not need to be immediately charged once they have been discharged. They can be held at a partial state of charge for very long periods of time without damage. Furthermore, AHI batteries do not require a float charge and can operate to 100% DOD with no significant degradation. High temperatures do not affect the lifetime or performance of the battery

Affordable
          AHI batteries offer an industry leading total cost of ownership. Their long lifetimes, very low maintenance costs, and low system costs result in a battery that delivers more value over its lifetime than other leading solutions. Long lifetimes have been demonstrated: Prototype cells with AHI technology show <10% capacity fade after up to >5,000 cycles at over 50% DOD and >15,000 cycles following the Sandia National Lab “partial state of charge” rapid cycling protocol.

Comment

When they are not on the market they can write most anything they want. So far it is vaporware.

There are a few zillion companies with disruptive technology at the same stage - most looking for funding.

About 99.99% fade away before a product ever hits the market.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I'm still waiting on the commercial version of the liquid metal battery that Gates gave about $5mill toward last year.

Until someone really comes up with a viable energy storage system there will always be snake oil salesman out there looking for your money to fund their design.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                I'm still waiting on the commercial version of the liquid metal battery that Gates gave about $5mill toward last year.

Until someone really comes up with a viable energy storage system there will always be snake oil salesman out there looking for your money to fund their design.
                Doesn't sound like vapourware to me. As I said before first production is planned for q4 2013

http://www.aquionenergy.com/Portals/...ing%202013.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by nat1971a View Post
                  Doesn't sound like vapourware to me. As I said before first production is planned for q4 2013

http://www.aquionenergy.com/Portals/...ing%202013.pdf
                  So if this is the holy grail of batteries how much have you or plan to invest in this venture?

Comment

Until the batteries hit the shelf they are vaporware - some of the inventors and venture capitalists are experts at hustling every possible buck they can get their hands on.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                      Until the batteries hit the shelf they are vaporware - some of the inventors and venture capitalists are experts at hustling every possible buck they can get their hands on.
                      Well the promotion slide show is really slick the way they claim them to be totally earth friendly without any toxic or explosive materials being made from "dirt", sea water, carbon and cotton.

I also like the way the batteries are stacked like Leggos. I just didn't see any wire terminals in the presentation so I wonder how they interconnect.

Comment

Well the promotion slide show is really slick the way they claim them to be totally earth friendly without any toxic or explosive materials being made from "dirt", sea water, carbon and cotton.

I also like the way the batteries are stacked like Leggos. I just didn't see any wire terminals in the presentation so I wonder how they interconnect.

I hope that these batteries are the holy grail. Analysts are predicting that 2014 will be a massive sea change in terms of battery storage. And i must admit i am rather curious about the way they stack together too. I havent seen anything else about that other than some photos.

Here in Melbourne Australia electricity costs have risen by more than 84% in the last couple of years. So solar power is becoming more and more appealing as they keep pushing the prices up. And if this battery is the holy grail that i think it is then we are on the verge of seeing a huge tipping point to green energy storage.

BATTERIESAquion-Energy-AE1-Battery_cmyk_e-495x280.jpg

Comment

I hope that these batteries are the holy grail. Analysts are predicting that 2014 will be a massive sea change in terms of battery storage. And i must admit i am rather curious about the way they stack together too. I havent seen anything else about that other than some photos.

Here in Melbourne Australia electricity costs have risen by more than 84% in the last couple of years. So solar power is becoming more and more appealing as they keep pushing the prices up. And if this battery is the holy grail that i think it is then we are on the verge of seeing a huge tipping point to green energy storage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2939[/ATTACH]
                          Well, if the technology really works and the prices are affordable I will be in line to either purchase or invest. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Well, if the technology really works and the prices are affordable I will be in line to either purchase or invest. Fingers crossed.

I must admit I haven't been looking at investing in the company even though a friend of mine said exactly the same thing about 1 week ago to me. I don't believe the company is publicly listed but I could be wrong. If it isn't I guess they will list later on. It is an area I haven't really been looking into. I have only been looking at battery technology from a macro level to get an understanding where all the problems are and where the future is. And I am no expert on battery technology. I don't believe lithium is really technically suited to renewable energy. At least not to my requirements.

The other issue is that there are so many battery startups at the moment there appears to be breakthroughs on a monthly basis but whether we see them on the "shelf" is another question. I guess we will see a lot of battery startups going bankrupt in the next couple of years.

Having said all this my opinion at this stage is that the aquionenergy battery appears to be the safest and most appealing battery to me at the moment for my requirements.

Comment

I must admit I haven't been looking at investing in the company even though a friend of mine said exactly the same thing about 1 week ago to me. I don't believe the company is publicly listed but I could be wrong. If it isn't I guess they will list later on. It is an area I haven't really been looking into. I have only been looking at battery technology from a macro level to get an understanding where all the problems are and where the future is. And I am no expert on battery technology. I don't believe lithium is really technically suited to renewable energy. At least not to my requirements.

The other issue is that there are so many battery startups at the moment there appears to be breakthroughs on a monthly basis but whether we see them on the "shelf" is another question. I guess we will see a lot of battery startups going bankrupt in the next couple of years.

Having said all this my opinion at this stage is that the aquionenergy battery appears to be the safest and most appealing battery to me at the moment for my requirements.
                              Safest and intriguing but if it was a viable energy storage item the Utilities and Car companies would be lining up at the door to get a piece of the action. People like Gates have the millions to throw at all types of research with the expectation of using the "losses" from those failed investments as a wright off on their taxes.

Hopefully I am wrong but don't expect a product on the shelf before you see big business invest a lot of their money into it first. Keep an eye on them for a winner.

Comment

Working...
                              X