Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epoxy for encapsulating cells (great DIY thread with photos!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is very good to see the steps and hear how your building steps work for you. Could you tell me what's the name and type of the epoxy? Is there anything you are using to help prevent the epoxy from "wicking" between the glass and PV cells?

Does your epoxy have a UV blocking chemical to keep it from darkening over time?

Good pictures and ideas sure get my questions going... ;>)

Thanks,
    Bill

Comment

Thank you everyone for commenting on my pictures. Scheek what kind of encapsulate do you use and did you have a aluminum frame? nice pictures.
      i have two more panels that I'm putting together but there going to have to wait for right now .We have 4 " of snow and my panels are out in the garage right now. I might bring one in and finish it in the house.
      The encapsulate that I use is Sylgard 184.

Comment

I used 1/16" X 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" aluminum frames and used a 1/4" painted backing board. I used the wood framing to secure the plywood. I did this by drilling pilot holes in my aluminum frame and secured by screws. I still sealed the wood wood with silicone.
        My glass size is 33" x 27".

On my first aluminum frames I used epoxy putty to hold the frame together. Later I found on the internet a brazing rod called DURAFLIX (http://durafix.com/index.html). Check out their youtube video. I'm not a welder and I did a great job the first time. This is the easiest way to build a frame. I only wish I had done this on my other 2 frames. If you don't want to try it, buy the rods and let a friend that can braze and let him show you how easy it is. Honestly...anyone can do it. Simply use a propane bottle that fits a lantern and buy the torch part from Duraflex or WALMART!

I will upload a pic of my welding soon.

Comment

I don't know where my post went, so here it is again. I used 1/16" x 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" aluminum angle from Lowes. On my first two panels I used epoxy PUTTY (works best) to hold the frame together. Later I found a product called DURAFIX. This is a brazing rod to weld aluminum. Check out their youtube. I am not a welder and I did a great job the first time. I only wish I had done my other two frames with this. Anyone can do it. If you are afraid to try it, just buy the rod and let a friend do it for you. All it takes is a propane bottle used for lanterns from WALMART and the torch head that can be purchased there, as well. I promise you that you will impress yourself.

Not sure about my epoxy name. We use it in highway construction to encapulate the road surface and then apply a small gravel for friction (used on bridges,curves). I will search for the name. UV resistant, I would think so... since it is designed to work on roads.

Comment

I used scotch tape.

Comment

Originally posted by BilljustBill View Post
              It is very good to see the steps and hear how your building steps work for you. Could you tell me what's the name and type of the epoxy? Is there anything you are using to help prevent the epoxy from "wicking" between the glass and PV cells?

Does your epoxy have a UV blocking chemical to keep it from darkening over time?

Good pictures and ideas sure get my questions going... ;>)

Thanks,
              Bill
              I used scotch tape.

Comment

That is real good. I know about Durafix and I have alot of welding with a torch experience. I believe I'll be able to do it. When I put my cells down on the glass I never used tape I was wanting space for the sylgard to go. I wanted it to go on the front and back. Sylgard is UV protected , They really have two kinds one that takes awhile to dry and the other drys faster.

Comment

Not knowing, I was afraid the cells may not be as efficient with the epoxy on the front side. Too, I was able to cut a row out and replace when my performance was not where it should have been. That was my fault for not testing properly though.

I guess I could try both sides but I would like all to match.

Comment

Where did you get your durafix at?

When I put the sylgard down it covered the fronf and the bvack . It doesn't hurt thr cells. I was useing PV 804 silicone for my seeilng around the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFox 25 View Post
                      Where did you get your durafix at?

When I put the sylgard down it covered the fronf and the bvack . It doesn't hurt thr cells. I was useing PV 804 silicone for my seeilng around the edge.
                      http://durafix.com/

Comment

Thank you but I have that already . I just thought you might have a different place. I'll be buying some next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                          For long term use, to prevent thermal stress, you need to match "Thermal Expansion Coefficient" for both the silicon cells, and the potting compound. Otherwise, a few months of hot/cold - day/night cycles will crack the cells. Like the way a bi-metal thermostat works, a thermostat bends, but PV cells don't like to bend.
                          So how should we do that? Im starting on this and i have read a lot.
                          The most complicated part is to do long lasting diy panels.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comment

Not sure about your question. Do what? Build frame or the use of epoxy?

Comment

Originally posted by scheek View Post
                              Not sure about your question. Do what? Build frame or the use of epoxy?
                              How should we match the Thermal Expansion Coefficient?

scheek how are your panels doing???

How many bottles of epoxy did you use for your 36cell panel. Also another question the cells are not covered on the front right?
                              Last edited by hjcg2001; 11-12-2009, 11:59 AM.

Comment

NO covered on front. Have only tested them outside twice. Did Great. I would say with the epoxy I used a small styrofoam coffee cup would be plenty to do a 36 cell panel.

Comment

Working...
                                X