solar powered airplanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solar powered airplanes

I was thinking about the possibilities of using solar panels on planes/jets in lieu of fueling them with jet fuel.

Is this even feasible or would the weight of the panels be too much for the planes to handle? Are there other issues that would stand in the way of panels?

Maybe there are already solar technologies in use on planes?

I don't really know anything about it?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Check the amount of power the plane requires per kilometer and then the amount of panels required. You would have to have a very large trailer towed behind the plane!

There are small electric battery operated planes - for one see
    http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/07...-room-for-two/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

this is a neat little solar plane I saw on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcWSI03NKo0

Comment

Dont know about fuel cell airplanes, but thanks to PoorSap for video
        Last edited by russ; 09-16-2011, 09:32 AM. Reason: removed link
        Carrie.T
        [url=http://www.solar-panels-power-energy.com]Solar Energy[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by CarrieTaylor View Post
          Dont know about fuel cell airplanes, but thanks to PoorSap for video
          Moderator note - Links are not allowed for newcomers - sometimes they are allowed for old timers that contribute to the forum. Anyone can have their email address in your personal information if they wish.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Anything Carrie Taylor says is totally useless. and meaningless. and totally random.
            I think she reads posts on a bong smoking site and then puts her replies on here for some unknown reason.

Comment

Originally posted by john p View Post
              Anything Carrie Taylor says is totally useless. and meaningless. and totally random.
              I think she reads posts on a bong smoking site and then puts her replies on here for some unknown reason.
              She was just trying to drop a link to her site. The first post didn't have the link and then I didn't look close - just thought the posts were foolish. Kater I went back and rectified that.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Great, I can see all the additional fees they'd hit us with.

"Green Energy Usage Fee"-$25

"Renewable Energy Added Baggage Fee"-$30

"Beverages cooled by renewable technology"-$10

"Green Headphones For Watching B-Grade Movies"-$15

Comment

Solar panels

Its seems good solar to hear about the solar powered airplanes. But I think its still not 100% efficient technology. I want to know that how it will work in night time or in rainy seasons?

Comment

Originally posted by simonbond View Post
                    Its seems good solar to hear about the solar powered airplanes. But I think its still not 100% efficient technology. I want to know that how it will work in night time or in rainy seasons?
                    Simon - You say you are in the solar business and post stuff like this?

Russ
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by simonbond View Post

Well, clearly, by the use of grid tied extension cords..................

Comment

Some time ago I saw a fascinating show on one of the cable channels about a solar powered airplane. The show went from the design, construction, testing to the flight. I can't remember what channel it was on. Could have been the National Geographic or one like it. The plane was able to stay up for more than a day by charging the batteries during the daylight. At night the guy almost froze to death.

It was called the "Solar Impulse".

You can find a short article here "www.nytimes.com/2010/07/09/world/europe/09plane.html".
                        They want to fly this thing around the world. "www.gizmag.com/solar-impulse-solar-plane-first-international-flight/18534/ "

Cut and paste the URLs in your browser and take a look.

Keith

Comment

Inter Solar system

Hi,

SOLAR IMPULSE Designer: Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Bertrand Piccard Flying Altitude: 10 Km Wingspan: 70-meter Solar Impulse too aims to circumnavigate the Earth. The single-pilot solar-powered aircraft comes with 2,700 square feet of monocrystalline solar cells.
                          To advertise, contact user Jason.

Comment

Originally posted by Abaddon View Post
                            Hi,

SOLAR IMPULSE Designer: Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Bertrand Piccard Flying Altitude: 10 Km Wingspan: 70-meter Solar Impulse too aims to circumnavigate the Earth. The single-pilot solar-powered aircraft comes with 2,700 square feet of monocrystalline solar cells.
                            Pray tell what the purpose of this useless information is? The aircraft mentioned is a university toy with zero practical applications.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                              Pray tell what the purpose of this useless information is?
                              Actually there is a purpose for such an aircraft although be it military application for spying and communications. NASA built and test Helios in 2001 that achieved a world record altitude before crashing into the ocean.

It has not been done yet but the idea is you can send up a solar power power assisted glider up to 80,000 feet carrying cameras and radio transponders for communication above a battle field for surveillance and repeater radio operations for ground forces. At night it glides with a very low sink rate of less than 100/fpm, and then during the day climb.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                              X