Need help, Swimming Pool Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmaru77 View Post
    I'm waiting for my pool pump to konk out so I can justify the change. But the way SDG&E is cranking up their costs for juice, I may have to act earlier. I'm not sold on filtering working better with slower pump, thus less pressure? I've got a fairly large filter, and when cleaning, I can see that it is not uniform. I wonder if anyone can verify that slower pump gives more uniform filtering.
    A variable speed pump can pay for itself within a year or two in terms of electric saving, so waiting for the current pump to konk out may not be necessary. That was my line of thinking before and my old pump just kept going and going and never quit, even after 15 years of service. Then finally there was a good winter deal on the new variable speed pump at a local store so I pulled the trigger. I think variable speed pumps have come down enough in price that makes it easier to justify now anyway.

Filtering should not be dependent on RPM. If anything, filtering at higher RPM will cause higher system pressure reading, more resistance going through the filter. I don't even know what uniform filtering means. How do you measure it?

A lower RPM pump, beside saving electricity, would also allow you to run longer for the same turn-over, therefore reducing water stagnation.

Comment

I suspect that what pmaru77 is noticing is that at high flow and pressure through a bed type filter it is more likely that the pressure will carve out flow channels in the bed resulting in a non-uniform flow distribution across the mass of the bed and thus less efficient use of the filter material.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Volusiano View Post
        Then finally there was a good winter deal on the new variable speed pump at a local store so I pulled the trigger. I think variable speed pumps have come down enough in price that makes it easier to justify now anyway.
        Mr. Volusiano would you mind posting what kind of pump you got and the $$? Also, did you install it yourself or have a pro do it and the cost for that. Just for comparison purposes, it may give me a ballpark idea on my mom's pool. Hers is a 32 foot oval with a deeper than average shallow end.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by albert436 View Post
          Mr. Volusiano would you mind posting what kind of pump you got and the $$? Also, did you install it yourself or have a pro do it and the cost for that. Just for comparison purposes, it may give me a ballpark idea on my mom's pool. Hers is a 32 foot oval with a deeper than average shallow end.

Thanks!
          I got a Pentair Intelliflo VS (variable speed) pump with the timer included for $807.49 (before tax) from Leslie's Pool Supplies in AZ. I paid $191.25 to have it professionally installed. I got $150 rebate back from SRP (my POCO) on top of that for installing a variable speed pump. Didn't need to fill out anything with SRP. The store/installer gave me the $150 up front and they get it back from SRP after the installation. This resulted in my out of pocket cost of about $850 for everything (before tax).

My pool is an 18 gallon size pool. But the pump is a 3HP 3450 RPM at the highest power/RPM level (consuming 2550 W at this level). So it can handle most residential pool size just fine (if not overkill even). But the beauty is that you can turn down the RPM to save electricity, and turn up the RPM (if needed) for your pool features or cleaning need. I run my pump at 1400 RPM and it consumes 250 W (compared to 2550 W at 3450 RPM). So even if I have to run it twice as long to get the same water turn-over rate as before, it's an 80% energy saving right there.

Comment

Wow killer deal. It seems like I had seen prices in the $1800 range for the pumps, but there may be other factors as I wasn't familiar with them at that time.

I think I worked out my mom's pool at around 18K gallons too.

Thanks for the info!

wai2.gif

Comment

Originally posted by albert436 View Post
              Wow killer deal. It seems like I had seen prices in the $1800 range for the pumps, but there may be other factors as I wasn't familiar with them at that time.

I think I worked out my mom's pool at around 18K gallons too.

Thanks for the info!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3845[/ATTACH]
              I think they retail for around $1200 maybe? But I just googled it and see them go for as low as $835 from this store. with free shipping and no sales tax. So I think you can still find good deals for it online.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X