Hooking up multiple batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hooking up the inverter

First and foremost, the solar panels must be connected to a charge controller ( morningstar is a good charge controller,but there are others like VDC electronics) the charge controller takes the power generated by the panel ( FROM THE TWO WIRES) and allows that power to be controlled to charge your batteries during the day time. at night that same controller prevents the batteries to back charge into the panel thus causing the battery to charge down much to quickly thru the panels, (known as the blocking diode).
    Now the inverter is connected to the same out out terminals (on the BATTERY) AS THE CHARGE CONTROLLER. (YOU MUST PAY ATTENTION TO THE POLARITY). THE INVERTER TAKES THAT 12vdc FROM THE BATTERY AND CONVERTS IT TO AN ac VOLTAGE OF 120 VOLTS to which you can connect an appliance. There is alot more to it than this simple explanation. You must understand that there is no infinite amount of energy from the battery, and as you use up the power you will need to rechrge. hence the solar panels. there is a way to size a sytem. go to the this sight http://www.altestore.com/howto/The-B...ectricity/a19/ there are other sights that can help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      Here's a great article about connecting batteries on the diagonal
      http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html (connect batteries on diagonal )
      That was a fantastic article. Thanks for posting that!

Funny-- I hooked mine up on the diagonal instinctively without ever really knowing factors involved. It just seemed to make good sense.
      I'm glad I was right this time...that same attitude could really foul up a situation if found to be wrong.

Comment

Hooking Up Multiple batteries

Connecting Multiple RV Batteries
        When installing more than one battery for use with the 12 volt RV system, it is recommended to purchase the batteries at the same time. The batteries should be matched with regard to capacity, brand, and age. This will give you the best possible life from your RV battery bank.

RV Battery Voltages:-
        --------------------
        RV Batteries are constructed to supply 12 volts or 6 volts (for the purpose of this article).
        In most cases two six volt batteries will have about 20% more capacity than two similar sized 12 volt batteries. This is due to the larger plates that are built into a six volt battery.

RV Battery Circuits:-
        -------------------
        Two 12 volt batteries are connected in a parallel configuration with the two positive terminals connected together and to the positive trailer lead. The negative terminals are connected together with the trailer negative lead.

Two six volt batteries need to be connected in a series circuit in order to get the 12 volt needed to run the coach system. In this case the trailer positive lead is connected to the positive terminal of the first battery. The negative terminal of that battery is connected to the positive terminal of the second battery. Finally, the negative terminal of the second battery is connected to the trailer negative lead. The size of the jumper wire should match or exceed the size of the trailer leads.

RV Battery Polarity:-
        --------------------------
        It should be noted that the positive lead from the trailer is normally the black colored wire(s) while the negative lead is the white colored wire(s). This is sometimes confusing, as most automotive applications use red as the positive and black as the negative. Polarity is very important to the electronics and the various motors in the RV and must not be reversed.

Note: battery terminals (or posts) are marked with a plus sign for the positive terminal and a minus sign for the negative terminal.

To make it even more confusing, makers of after market items, such as solar panels will have the red wire as positive and black as the negative.

Before disconnecting your RV battery for any reason, it is suggested that you tape the wires together near the terminal that they are attached to and then mark them with respect to what terminal they go to. This will avoid confusion and reversed leads when re-connecting the terminals.
        I often answer posts with nonsense answers, maybe because I am trying to get my post count up to evade moderators.
        BEWARE - Watch me

Comment

so which is better for a battery system.

Two 6V batteries at 220cca in series.

Or two 12V Batteries at 220cca in Parallel

Both will give you 12V, but which would have more capacity or last longer under a given load?
          I don't get drunk~~~~I get awesome

Comment

I feel batteries in SERIES (2, 6V wired for 12V) is much better:

1) one fuse needed
            2) load/charge hogging issues eliminated
            3) no parallel strings to troubleshoot.

Both have same capacity in watt hours, and would last the same under the same load.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Jmac00 View Post
              Two 6V batteries at 220cca in series.

Or two 12V Batteries at 220cca in Parallel
              I certainly hope your batteries do not have CCA printed on them.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

thanx Mike
                I don't get drunk~~~~I get awesome

Comment

Working...
                X