Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar powered LED rope light for commercial building

Hello,

i am planning to install led neon rope light in commercial building which will be powered by solar. I need a good advise as to how to implement this project as i have to power this led light to around 570 meters straight lines. should i put this in grid tie or is it efficient to be in off-grid. My client want to have this in off-grid.
    led neon rgb type rope light take 15-20 watt per meter so for 570 meters it will take around 12kwatt.
    So help me to know how many solar panels i need and of what watt( i am thinking of 300 watt panels), how many batteries?, what kind of inverter and related things...
    Last edited by Mike90250; 05-21-2015, 11:50 PM. Reason: removed NEON from title

Originally posted by asadiqbal View Post
    Hello,

i am planning to install led neon rope light in commercial building which will be powered by solar. I need a good advise as to how to implement this project as i have to power this led light to around 570 meters straight lines. should i put this in grid tie or is it efficient to be in off-grid. My client want to have this in off-grid.
    led neon rgb type rope light take 15-20 watt per meter so for 570 meters it will take around 12kwatt.
    So help me to know how many solar panels i need and of what watt( i am thinking of 300 watt panels), how many batteries?, what kind of inverter and related things...
    You should definitely look at 120V or 240V AC power to the LED ropes, since the current requirements for that many watts over such a wide distance will cost too much for large, long wires.

And as long as commercial power is reliable, or the lighting is not required to remain on when the power goes off, you will get a far better value using a grid-tied system.
    For a totally off-grid system you will be paying more for the battery bank than for anything else and you need to very carefully calculate how many hours and at what time of day the lights will be used.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      You should definitely look at 120V or 240V AC power to the LED rope light, since the current requirements for that many watts over such a wide distance will cost too much for large, long wires.

And as long as commercial power is reliable, or the lighting is not required to remain on when the power goes off, you will get a far better value using a grid-tied system.
      For a totally off-grid system you will be paying more for the battery bank than for anything else and you need to very carefully calculate how many hours and at what time of day the lights will be used.
      agree,if you want to powered by solarr,you need many solar panels,that's a big project......

Comment

To even contemplate doing this off grid is insane.. Its 12kw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        IF its to be on say 10hrs a night that comes to 120kwh
        1 industrial sized 15kw (expensive) inverter
        240kwh of batteries
        If battery voltage 144 that comes to about 1700 ahr of batteries.
        Assuming 2v x1000ahr cells you need about 144 of them at about 500lb each . total 36 tons.(big strong floor)

Do you now see any problems if you go off grid to do this??

Simple solution.. hire an electrical contractor to do this connected to the grid.... Happy Days

Comment

I remember this silly post. I feel out of my chair laughing when I first read it. What a moron.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Hi.

Thank you so much for sharing this post. It is very interesting! If you don't mind can I say something? If you want to learn more about electrician, you may visit the sites here:xxxxxx

No, new users are not allowed to post links
            Last edited by Mike90250; 05-20-2015, 10:02 AM. Reason: links

Comment

Originally posted by asadiqbal View Post
              Hello,

i am planning to install led neon rope light ...
              Please do not use the word "neon" in conjunction with LED lighting of any type. The only possible understanding of your use of neon is to describe that the rope lighting will be used to create shapes and spell out words the same way actual neon tubes are used.
              Neon is a gas discharge high voltage light source that uses rigid glass tubes with a partial vacuum and neon or other noble gases inside and phosphors on the inside surface of the glass.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                Please do not use the word "neon" in conjunction with LED lighting of any type. The only possible understanding of your use of neon is to describe that the rope lighting will be used to create shapes and spell out words the same way actual neon tubes are used.
                Neon is a gas discharge high voltage light source that uses rigid glass tubes with a partial vacuum and neon or other noble gases inside and phosphors on the inside surface of the glass.
                Since this OP's post is over two years old maybe he had "neon" LED lighting back then.

Comment

Both the OP and the other Chit Eating Spammer Moron in post 6 hung themselves with that NEON/LED rope.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by rubbygriffith View Post
                    If you don't mind can I say something?
                    Sure. Goodbye!

Comment

edited by Mike90250; Today at 08:50 PM. Reason: removed NEON from title
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                      X