Only Of Interest to NH grid tied folks - Solar Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only Of Interest to NH grid tied folks - Solar Tax

In case there are some NH grid tied solar folks on this site, be aware that Eversource is charging an apparently illegal solar consumption tax on folks who have grid tied systems. They are basically taxing any power supplied back from the grid even though the system owner has a surplus. Do note the actual tax is minimal, this is more matter or principle. This is also double taxation as they are taxing me once for this power and then taxing others for the same power when they sell my power to some other ratepayer.

A simple example, I generate 10 KWh during the day and send that into the grid, to keep it simple, I use no power during that period. I then use the 10 KWh I have banked back to the grid that night. I therefore have purchased no net power. Previously, I would pay no electric consumption tax with a standard net meter. With the new multichannel meters, Eversource keep track of power in versus power out on two separate channels and then charges a tax on all power supplied from the grid. When I called Eversource they told me its not their fault they are just applying state law and complain to the PUC which is wrong.

I have more info on why this is in violation of the state net metering law and the associated regulations, if you are NH send me a PM. I am trying to build up a list of at least several folks who want to file similar complaints to the PUC to get this corrected.

Hi there. Any update? I just turned on my NH grid tie system with eversource so have not seen a new bill yet..

Comment

No update as of now, I expect the change in legislature is not going to help getting this corrected.

Comment

How is that illegal? You are entitled to pay taxes on any energy whether you generate it or not.

EV and Solar owners are cheating the system and skipping town without paying their bills. Bad enough your neighbors had to pay for part of your system with higher taxes and utility rates. Least you can do is pay a tax. EV owners pay no fuel taxes and Solar users pay no energy tax and expect net metering on yop of that. The solution is easy and will be implemented sooner or later. Charge EV owners a tax every year when it is time for license renewal, utilities to collect tax on electricity, and Net metering is going away. It is coming, get use to it.
        Last edited by Sunking; 12-19-2016, 09:05 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
          No update as of now, I expect the change in legislature is not going to help getting this corrected.
          utilitydive.com/news/in-new-hampshire-stakeholders-debate-the-next-nem-successor-tariff/429972/ has some details about how NH is thinking of changing net metering going forward.

Comment

NH made a deal with early adopters of PV and put that deal into law. Spend our own money up front before the economics were really viable and they would reward us in the long run by putting in place the net metering law which effectively guaranteed that early adopters (at the time up to 1% of each utilities generation) would be able to net meter indefinitely with no surcharges. You may not agree with the concept and now that the price of PV has come down I would agree that the deal should be changed for future PV users but that was the deal at time and is still in place. Sure the current state government can decide to change the rules after the fact but they haven't yet. Thus there is one state agency violating the current laws in effect by charging a tax on net metered power. This is not just my opinion but that of some folks who have far greater knowledge of current law and interpretation of net metering laws.

Even the NHSEA is not interested in chasing the tax issue as they don't want to burn up political capital defending current installations as their membership is mostly focused on getting more installations in place. It may paint itself green but in reality a trade association supported by folks who are in it to make a buck. The prior posters link is about future PV installations and is actually pre election, I believe the comment that " no ones life liberty or happiness is safe while the legislature in session applies"

Comment

It does seem unfair to change the deal retroactively.

Can you say more about the new multichannel meters you mentioned? Did you get one when you had solar installed, or later? Did you have a choice? (And what does the utility call them? I hadn't heard the term before.)

Comment

I am sure that the legal eagles will spend a lot of time arguing about whether a law prohibiting POCO from adding surcharges also prohibits the state from adopting taxes covering the same users and having POCO collect them.
                Any bets on how long before it is resolved?
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                  I am sure that the legal eagles will spend a lot of time arguing about whether a law prohibiting POCO from adding surcharges also prohibits the state from adopting taxes covering the same users and having POCO collect them.
                  Any bets on how long before it is resolved?
                  Like most things of this nature, my $$ would be on the issue being around until political slugs/hacks and ambulance chasers can't wring any more money or power from it.

Comment

Working...
                  X