X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mexicanfooddude
    • Jan 2015

solar charge controller and shorepower charger/converter wiring on RV

Hey everyone,

Hoping to get some help, not having any luck with this searching online.

I've got an Intellipower PD4045 charger/converter (shown here) configured with two 6V golf cart batteries in series. I also have a Renogy 100W solar pv panel with a Renogy 30A charge controller. All of my DC loads are wired through the distribution panel in the PD4045.

The Renogy 30A charge controller has three connections: one for the solar panel, one for the battery, and a "load" connection, supplying 30A max, that it instructs you to connect DC loads to (wiring diagram shown below). This will shut off power to the loads if battery levels run too low. I like this feature, and would like to incorporate it into my setup, but I'm unsure of the wiring between the solar charge controller, battery, and charger/converter.

PWM-30A-LCD-Controller-Description.jpg

Currently, I have solar panel plugged into charge controller, and then the battery is plugged in parallel to the "battery" connection of the solar charge controller and the battery leads of the PD4045. Doesn't seem to be causing any issues right now... but as mentioned, I want to utilize the low-power shutoff of the solar charge controller for my DC distribution panel.

If I wire the 12V "battery" leads of the PD4045 to the regulated "load" connection on the solar charge controller, I feel like this will work when I'm charging through solar only and not connected to shore power. However, if I was to connect the PD4045 to shore power, I'm not sure if the charger voltage running from the PD4045 through these leads will charge the batteries through the solar charge controller... or maybe even fry the thing.

Hopefully this made sense, any help is much appreciated.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

You can generally parallel charging sources to a battery.

Solar charge controllers, should only connect to a solar panel for input.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by mexicanfooddude
      I want to utilize the low-power shutoff of the solar charge controller for my DC distribution panel.
      Get over it. The load terminal on Charge Controllers is about as close to useless at it gets. It is for very low current of 1 to 2 amps which is not enough to power much except a LED light or a Relay. If you use to operate a relay can be a work around for a Low Voltage Disconnect device which is what the Load Terminal is on a charge controller. With a relay make sit a high current disconnect which can be useful.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Amy@altE
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2014

The solar panel goes to the solar input. The charge controller output goes to the batteries, as does the input converter. The low voltage disconnect is for connecting a small DC load, like a light, that will turn it off if you forget to. The converter most likely has its own low voltage disconnect, so it will probably turn itself off if the batteries get low. DO not connect the converter to the low voltage disconnect, the charge controller is not designed to handle that much current.
        Solar Queen
        altE Store

Comment

• jony101
          • Jun 2014

the load out of the charge controllers are unreliable. I had both a pwm and mppt controller and when the sun has been behind a cloud for a while and then the cloud clears, the voltage on the controller shoots up and shuts off the load output. It happens everytime and you have to reset manually, also the power output varies with the sun, you can hear fans rpm go up and down with the sunlight.

Also the charge controllers internal clocks never stay on time. I can never rely on them.

The only thing I run with the load out is a small 120mm cooling fan to keep the controller cool, and half the time its off because the load out decided to shut itself down.

Comment

• paulcheung
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2013

The load out on the Tracer 40 amp MPPT charge controller is rated 20 amps DC. I am not sure if the 30 amps are the same or half which might be 15 amps, it is design for use with the lights with the built in timer. It use the battery power as well, so it is stable. I used to use it to power my inverter for the pond pump before I change the CC to the better Outback FM60. It has the cut off voltage about 11 volts there about, it is a little higher than the Xantrex Prowatt SW1000 which cut off at 10.5 volts.

Comment

Working...