Newbie tyring to understand battery types for emerg solar setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
    I do since he's just starting out for an emergency amateur radio setup.

Agm's have lower internal resistance than flooded, and that means higher voltage under load. Some amateur gear goes flaky under 12v, puts out poor signal quality etc. Thus, there may be true deep cycle capacity that won't be available to him anyway.

For an emergency setup, it is not always stationary. If the desire is to be portable / luggable, then lugging an agm up and down the mountain may be more convenient / safe than doing so with flooded.

Still, it can be done with flooded as long as the op does his homework and knows his own abilities go as far as maintenance.

Like lifepo4, despite the higher initial cost, other factors may weigh more in the decision, so even here, one has to make sure the battery fits the application and environment.
    I did not read your previous post closely enough and I do see you recommended an AGM. I missed that, and also find your reasoning in this post sound.

Comment

Originally posted by mattro View Post
      Rural Kings website shows the AGMdual purpose you referenced was $130. I was showing a true deep cycle of the same capacity was $140 and was wondering if it was better since it was a true deep cycle...
      If that was the Universal Battery 12750, then that is definitely NOT a "true" deep cycle! Nor are any of the hybrids, including my newest Exide dual-purpose with graphite.

The UB may come with a variety of battery terminals, including marine, but that does not make it a deep cycle. Look at the brochure from the UPGI group, and you'll see deep-cycling limited to about 300 cycles:

http://upgi.com/products/batterysearch.aspx

On the other hand, look at the very bottom of the line from Trojan - at least twice or much more depending on model:

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/Tro...E_brochure.pdf

Now THESE are for when you advance beyond the typical learner / hybrid battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        So, my suggestion is for the big box store, marine deep cycle battery, size Group24 or Group27, whatever you can find and is cheap. It's going to most likely die of old age, not cycles, if you are only using on weekends or SHTF usage.

A 100w panel will service it, but not if you run a lot of daytime battery charging or Ham radio usage, that will subtract from the recharge amps, and you may end up in the hole after a couple days of heavy usage. Having a 2nd panel you can bring into service would be handy, or use your car alternator to boost up the battery for 20 minutes.
        +1, I had a Renogy 100W panel and it was fine, I don't think you should get any smaller than that, with a PWM controller you will have a maximum harvest capability of around 60W, and only get that much for a short time near noon each day. I also agree a single 12v battery marine/rv would be best to start with (most bang for the Tight budget buck), I see them on sale at the various big box stores for $69-$79 and If you can keep the state of charge above 60% they hold up okay, the larger panel (100w or more) will make sure it gets near fully charged more often also. If you do look at MPPT, Victron and Outback both have excellent small (10-15A) options now in the $100 price range.

Comment

Working...
        X